Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
W201 Moderator
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be good to have more info on the car.

(1) 2.6 - 12V or 2.3 - 8V, or other engine (M103 or M102)?
(2) Carburetor? It is not fuel injected?
(3) Is the car in Europe or US/Canada?

·
Premium Member
6,708 Posts
There are few things more expensive than a Cheap Mercedes.

you're talking about a 25+ year old car. Unless its been religiously maintained to a very high standard by a fanatic at great cost, its going to need maintenance. odds are pretty good it hasn't, and in fact, it likely has quite a lot of deferred maintenance.

as dolucasi asks, is this a world market car? everything Mercedes sold in the USA since mid 1960s has been fuel injected. Which model 190 is this, Mercedes models have a XXX.YYY series.model code like my 1993 300CE Cabriolet is a 124.066, or my wife's 1994 320TE wagon is a 124.092. your 190E is 201.XXX, its that XXX that will tell us more about it. if you're not in the USA, 201xxx will be the first 6 numeric digits in the VIN, after WDB or whatever prefix (the USA uses its own VIN code scheme that is harder to decode).

it would be good to fill in your profile with the general part of the world you're in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I understand that but my issue is with the carburetor he’s talking about. What it could be, how easy is it to fix and how much will it cost me

·
17,557 Posts
Since he calls it a 190E, I’d assume he refers to the airflow sensor as a carb. Maybe a leaking EHA or piss poor running.

$400 car period, nobody going to dogpile on that. Plus it’s Facebook Marketplace, he’ll be glad to rid himself of car to avoid all the “is it available’ flakes.

·
17,557 Posts
Last EHA I bought years back was around $300. Take it from me, don’t buy an used one on eBay if you pull the trigger.

You really just have to pinpoint the exact part before throwing money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh no I don’t plan on buying anything off ebay. Would it be worth buying that car for that much ? Is it gonna last me a while ?

·
17,557 Posts
Heh, I’d buy any W201 because there are none here, so I might not be the one to ask. :)

If it fits your budget, go take a spin in it and report back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just looked it up, its a 2.3 fuel injected car, no carbs. If it were me I'd go after the one listed at $1800 in Columbus, try and get that one for $1000-1200.

That said, you said you want this to be your daily driver but not throw much money at it. Those things are in complete opposition each other. Its a 30 year old German luxury car. If you've got $1000 to spend on a daily, go buy a Civic, seriously.

·
W201 Moderator
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An ordinary $800 asking price 190E will be a money pit as many members mentioned. Especially if you are not doing the repairs yourself.
Also many fuel injection parts start to fail between 130K miles - 150K miles.

I would be very cautious about that car. If you really like a 190E, you should buy a later year model, 1990-1993.
I know as I have a 1989, and am the original owner. The repair/maintenance stack is 2 inches thick. (granted car is nearly 200K miles now)

But the decision can be very binary: if you are into repairing your own cars consider a 1990-1993, if you are not into DIY repairs do not even consider buying a 190E as a daily driver. Also, I would prefer a 2.6 6-cyl over a 2.3 4-cyl.

·
Registered
134 Posts
An ordinary $800 asking price 190E will be a money pit as many members mentioned. Especially if you are not doing the repairs yourself.
Also many fuel injection parts start to fail between 130K miles - 150K miles.

I would be very cautious about that car. If you really like a 190E, you should buy a later year model, 1990-1993.
I know as I have a 1989, and am the original owner. The repair/maintenance stack is 2 inches thick. (granted car is nearly 200K miles now)

But the decision can be very binary: if you are into repairing your own cars consider a 1990-1993, if you are not into DIY repairs do not even consider buying a 190E as a daily driver. Also, I would prefer a 2.6 6-cyl over a 2.3 4-cyl.
Whats the difference between 89 and 90, thought they were essentially the same?

I'm about $5k into my '89, I've simply stopped calculating. That said I'm looking for it to be perfect so I've spent a lot chasing certain issues that aren't a big deal for many people.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Just looked it up, its a 2.3 fuel injected car, no carbs. If it were me I'd go after the one listed at $1800 in Columbus, try and get that one for $1000-1200.

That said, you said you want this to be your daily driver but not throw much money at it. Those things are in complete opposition each other. Its a 30 year old German luxury car. If you've got $1000 to spend on a daily, go buy a Civic, seriously.
++1..
And read my signature. It tells alot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
raed_jan
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing