Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched and there are 100 different scenarios for what is wrong. So now I'm looking for some input on where to go next. I have checked the fuses, the strip fuse. I removed the blower motor and it works perfectly. I'm not getting power to the 11 fuse or the strip fuse or the blower. It all started with the a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the fan speed area. I know there are 2 relays in that control unit but I installed a another one and it did the exact same thing. Just looking to see if anyone has advice on my next step. The AC compressor will come in but the blower dies not blow.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
There's a three pin connector above the brake booster, find it. Then perform the following (taken from babymog over @peachparts):

"The blower can be diagnosed using the 3-pin connector on top of the brake booster:

Remove the plug, open the plastic of the plug (for electrical access to the plug) and plug it back in, ... DON'T let the connectors slip out unless you've documented the placement!

Check (using a test light, not a DMM) for voltage from pin 1 to pin 3, with the ignition on in position 2 and the blower selector on automatic (center). Test voltage also.

Should get a light, and show ~ battery voltage.

Check with a DMM the voltage from each to ground, the brown wire (can't remember which one either 1 or 3) should be grounded, the other battery voltage.

Now check the voltage on the center pin with reference to a good ground. Press the low fan button and test the center pin voltage again, press the high fan button and the defrost button and test the voltage again.

You should see a varying voltage on the center pin based on which fan speed is selected, which indicates that the CCU is attempting to run the blower. This is all that you can do without removing the wiper assembly and blower cover to test voltage at the blower motor and see if it is the blower or the speed regulator "porcupine" below the blower motor.

If you did not get proper +12v, check for voltage at the strip fuse to ground. If not proper ground, wiring."

Kevin

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already pulled the blower motor and it works. I am not getting voltage to the fuse 11, the strip fuse or the blower motor.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
OK, but his tests will tell you if you are getting the various voltage signals from the HVAC controls or as he calls it, the climate control unit.

Kevin

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. If it's not get power from the controls what does that usually means. Is it something repairable?

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
Replace that strip fuse before going any further. It's the cheapest and easiest thing to do. Many a time those fuses "look OK" but aren't. Ditto on all the torpedo fuses in the fusebox. Replace them all with the updated copper core ceramic type like those from Flosser if they look old or you've never touched them.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Ok. If it's not get power from the controls what does that usually means. Is it something repairable?
Well sure...just about anything is repairable on this car. If you're not getting power to the controls, then you need to trace back to the fuse panel and see what's going on there.....like is there power up to its fuse? Did its fuse ever blow?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Sometimes I just assume owners have tried things. With the blower, you wiggle the ignition key, check the strip fuse and slam a door hard (low worn brushes). Obviously, these things weren't all tried.

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
Real1shepherd
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing