Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty darn sure I'm going to need a cylinder head. It is my understanding that once overheated, there's only a small chance that they can be repaired. I find out for sure tomorrow.

I did a search, but I did not come up with anything regarding a good place to pick up one (new or used). Anyone have any suggestions?

1987 OM603 6-cylinder, aluminum cylinder head

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow. just saw that there's a guy on e-bay with a cylinder head for sale. Here's his info:

Up for sale is a Cylinder Head pulled from a 1994 S350D Diesel (603 motor) with 122K miles on it. This Cylinder Head is in perfect operational and mechanical condition. This Cylinder Head will fit all W140 W124 W126 S class 300SDL S350D 300D years 1986 - 1996 and more!

According to his description, this head would fit my 1987 300TD with the OM603 engine. Does this sound right? Mine is a 3.0 and I thought these later engines were 3.5. Are the cylinder heads actually interchangeable without mods or anything?

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD Myna 7mm pump and HX30 /'89 Vanagon TDI 12mm pump and GT2052
52,235 Posts
wow. just saw that there's a guy on e-bay with a cylinder head for sale. Here's his info:

Up for sale is a Cylinder Head pulled from a 1994 S350D Diesel (603 motor) with 122K miles on it. This Cylinder Head is in perfect operational and mechanical condition. This Cylinder Head will fit all W140 W124 W126 S class 300SDL S350D 300D years 1986 - 1996 and more!

According to his description, this head would fit my 1987 300TD with the OM603 engine. Does this sound right? Mine is a 3.0 and I thought these later engines were 3.5. Are the cylinder heads actually interchangeable without mods or anything?
The #17 - #22 heads found on the OM603.97 (what you're listing above -- 3.5L) are the best heads available for any OM603 engine. If you can find one, then jump on it, pronto! I opted for a bare brand new #22 head and then proceeded to add all new lifters and valves, which I hand lapped into place. I think I spent somewhere near $2k all told...not to mention my time custom port-matching/polishing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The #17 - #22 heads found on the OM603.97 (what you're listing above -- 3.5L) are the best heads available for any OM603 engine. If you can find one, then jump on it, pronto! I opted for a bare brand new #22 head and then proceeded to add all new lifters and valves, which I hand lapped into place. I think I spent somewhere near $2k all told...not to mention my time custom port-matching/polishing.
This head for sale has the following numbers: 603 016 1801

Man, I just want to ensure this thing will fit my 87. I see Zeitgeist mentions #17 - #22.

Any modifications for this head? Camshaft issues or anything else? Much appreciated, fellas.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD Myna 7mm pump and HX30 /'89 Vanagon TDI 12mm pump and GT2052
52,235 Posts
It will fit. The #15 and #16 heads are fairly rare, but they all fit, and should be a definite upgrade over the stock #14. You may need to install your "vertical" pre-chambers, as this one may use "inclined" versions. Not a huge deal, but if the head comes with those "inclined" injectors, then it's not a problem at all. Sorta confusing, but if the price is right, I'd jump and then sort out the small stuff later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will fit. The #15 and #16 heads are fairly rare, but they all fit, and should be a definite upgrade over the stock #14. You may need to install your "vertical" pre-chambers, as this one may use "inclined" versions. Not a huge deal, but if the head comes with those "inclined" injectors, then it's not a problem at all. Sorta confusing, but if the price is right, I'd jump and then sort out the small stuff later.
Sounds great! I am a little concerned about "inclined" vs vertical pre-chambers...but you say it is not a huge deal. If they're not both identical versions, then are we talking machine shop involvement and/or much $$?

I think I'll go ahead and ask to purchase them. He wants $500 and the car supposedly had 122K miles.

Thank you, Sir.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I missed out on it. Still looking for a head so I can get this thing on the road again. I appreciate any help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts