Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all, I’ve spent a lot of time researching what could be wrong with my Mercedes S1000 SEC, but need opinions of others in trying to solve this mysterious actions. The previous owner has replaced multiple parts, and I’ve added to the list. I bought the car running perfectly, brought it home and it barely drove off the trailer. Looking at the low 56k KMs and the exceptional shape the car is in makes me wonder how anything could be wrong.

The previous owner replaced The fuel tank, fuel pumps, fuel filter, fuel relays, spark plugs, ignition wires, coil pack, multiple sensors, crankshaft sensor, fuel regulator, and multiple other items, I’ll post pictures, I can only attach 10, but they all look very expensive (computer boxes etc.

I did the simple things like, changed out the fuel, (as apparently the car hasn’t been on the road for a few years) and added 92 octane, high test fuel. I checked all the oil levels, replaced the batteries, checked the function of the fuel pumps, by overriding the relay at points 7 and 8. (They pump well, but it still stalled after 1 second when started). I Removed and inspected the fuel regulator, cleaned it out etc, no dirt to be found and it looks like new. But I can’t figure out why it only runs for about 1 second and comes to a dead stop, sometimes maybe a little sputter, as I noticed today after it sat overnight it ran for about 10 seconds then stalled, but every attempt after that was back to 1 second running. Before I go throwing anymore darts at the board, I’d like to get some help from the group on the next steps in getting this amazing classic back on the road. The funny part of this whole story is that the car worked perfectly when I loaded it onto my trailer, maybe the road trip home jiggled a wire somewhere? If this isn’t where this should be posted please help.
m

Many Thanks
JP

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed that post, tried jumping the fuel relay, lots of fuel going to the motor, I’ll have to get a pressure gauge on it to see the psi, but seems quite adequate. The taco revs up to 2, upon starting then drops to 1.5, then suddenly stops. Even if pumping the fuel pedal.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,124 Posts
Must say this-- if your car milage is only 56km and all these parts have been replaced i would say its done more than starship milage ,Mine is 30 years old nothing changed other than injectors the ht system plugs tyres milage 89.000 miles. From new one owner before me my cousin so all is original .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the over voltage protection relay (ovp) fuse on the top, it was good/new looking. I noticed today that the oil pressure indicator is at the max 3. I also disconnected the tach, and it made no difference. I moved the metal shrouding around the ignition coil pack, and moved the wires away from any potential grounds, and I got a whopping 15 seconds running time before stalling. (We’re getting there!) I’m thinking fuel pump and filter still?, I have a new fuel filter on order as well as a fuel pressure testing kit. It seems to be starving for fuel, it’ll chug for a bit then die. I’m also going to go over the fuel lines to make sure they didn’t get krimped somehow. I’ll keep you posted.

As far as the kilometres on the car, it seems legit, nothing indicates starship mileage. 56000 Kms not 56kms. I would suggest shady mechanics seeing someone with money coming to get their car fixed, previous owner decided to save all the parts, as the problem would reoccur. The trunk is full of parts, I posted pictures of them earlier. Apparently thousands and thousands have been spent getting it running, and it worked perfectly until I went to unload it from a trailer. (Classic taillight warranty story!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check vacuum lines.
I checked over the vacuum lines. Everything seems normal. Does anyone know what the wire in the fuse box does? Seems like the bottom of the top section of fuse popped out? But I don’t want to shove it back into the slot without knowing what it actually does? Not sure why fuses would have a jumper wire within the fuse box? See attached image (green wire)

·
Registered
1991 560SEC
668 Posts
There should be a guide to those fuses on the lid of the cover. I don't have it handy. Clearly one of those pins has a problem and was hacked to work.

I think the the point that was made earlier was to jump the fuel pump relay and start the car - have you tried that? Sounds like you jumped the FPR to test it, but you can also jump the FPR and run the car.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,930 Posts
You said the fuel tank and pumps were changed ? This might be a swag but on the fuel distributor where the hard line attaches there is a fitting with a screen in it, another member here told me about it and his was plugged up. Take it out and clean the screen, might help, might not (but it can't hurt with whatever caused the new tank)

Nice looking ride, hope you get it sorted and back on the road

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,124 Posts
J PAUL If all fails on this above information to get it fixed .., i have read about the rev counter being faulty and it stops the message going to the ecu .You could remove the wire from the rear of the revcounter and try again .But i did say to do this as a last resort . Also i see lots of parts in you post above .Now if your replacing part for part dont fit a part with the wrong numbers on it .The new one or exchange one must have the right part numbers -- dont fit if it just looks like it . This is important

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Folks, first off thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts, it helps keep my wheels spinning on what the issues could be. I did a little investigation work and called the last mechanic that worked on the car. He replaced the fuel tank. I had noticed the fuel was a very murky colour, almost like someone put something in the fuel. He said he didn’t put premium fuel in it, which is ok, but he said that he had a “heck of a time” getting the canola oil out of it as it was a used tank, from a diesel car. When I got the car I put premium fuel in it and drove it on a trailer for about 400 Kms. This drive shook the fuel around the tank and caused the fuel filter to get plugged when the car was run. The canola also caused the car to run “ruff”. Well long story short, the car is running. I drained all the fuel, changed the filters and replaced it with high test fuel. All be it, it’s not running to its best, but I think a couple spark plugs and I’ll be good. The picture shows the smaller fuel filter that was installed as well you can see the murky gas.
Thanks again
JP

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The limo was built by Caret Duchatelet and has been kept in amazing condition. (Near mint). I’ll post some more pictures once I get it all polished up. I have 4 kids under 4, so finding time to spend on the car can be challenging. I’m sure I’ll be needing more help with it as I’m relatively new to the Mercedes world. (I bought my first Mercedes last year, a 1972 SLC 450 R107 Convertible.) The more you use them, it seems like, the less they have issues. This car still has a low idle miss, that is likely related to a fouled plug, from the canola oils. I have new ones on order, and will likely be a week before I get them in the car, I will keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hello all again, I found some time to change out the spark plugs and it ran perfectly. Out on the yard it didn’t quite seem to have a lot of moving power when accelerating. I read in a previous post that the fuel pumps themselves have a strainer in them. I then decided to cut open the fuel filter to see what it looked like inside. It was clogged, with rust. I then removed the fuel pumps and they were plugged too. Attached is a photo of both the fuel pumps and fuel filter taken apart. I drained the fuel tank, and although it looks like new, I’m thinking about getting it removed and lined with a rubber coating. Anyone on these forms have any luck lining a tank?

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,930 Posts
That looks like sand in both the filter and pumps, whatever you do with the tank (new/used or lined) make sure to install a new strainer in the tank, it screws into the tank and the main fuel feed screws into it that goes to the pumps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, good call wooly, it was sand and I believe possibly surgery/canola oily type stuff. I’ve removed the tank and strainer this evening, attached is a photo of how plugged the strainer was. There was about three quarters (3/4) of an inch of sand at the bottom of the tank as well. I’m sending the tank off to get re-lined. I’ll also order another strainer. It’s a wonder the car even ran at all. The tank looks like new on the outside, so I’m assuming someone didn’t like the previous owners, or someone didn’t like the fact I bought the car. Either way it’s going to get fixed and we’ll all move forward.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts