Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?] My 87 560 is burning very rich. It is blowing black smoke out of the exhaust and the plugs are black and chalky. I replaced the plugs and it ran great for a couple of miles and then at low RPMS it started missing and smoking again. Your help is appreciated!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Start by adjusting the screw on top of the air intake. Turn counter clock wise until the car almost stalls, then bring it back a notch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply Is this a screw that is preset or is it ok to mess with.Do i need to count how many times i turn it in in case I need to put back ? Thanks!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
That screw (your CO adjustment) is VERY sensative..when you do turn it, it's not whole turns it's fractions of a turn. Keep track of how far you do turn it. Chances are if this just started happening either your EHA has given up or your KE unit is giving issues.

Jonathan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told to adjust the screw on top of air intake. Does anyone know is that the hex head screw mounted in the front of the fuel distributor? I'm stuck and don't want to make it worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This did just start happening. Can I rule out the o2 sensor and if so how can I determine the EHA or the KE unit? I was hoping this was a common occuring problem with these cars and would be an easy fix Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a little oily residue under the EHA at the base of the fuel distributor on that corner . Could this be part of the problem?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
fastlane - 2/10/2005 6:46 PM

There is a little oily residue under the EHA at the base of the fuel distributor on that corner . Could this be part of the problem?
It could. See you PM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am searching for some more input on my 560 SEL problem. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix? Thanks?

·
Registered
560 SEL, SEC Koenig
107 Posts
There could be numerous things that causes this. Unplug the O2 sensor under the passenger carpet and cover and see how the car runs. If it runs the same it could be the O2 sensor, they DO fail and can cause this. You shouldn't adjust the EHA screw until you check out a few more things. Go here and read about it
http://www.landiss.com/mixture.htm

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts