Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of years there has been yellowish stuff slowly seeping out on the cluster's frame and I have not been able to wipe them off. It is primarily on the up side of the lower edge and at the lower inner 2 corners:

I have tried with wipe with alcohol and warm water but these yellow stuff seems stuck on the frame. What and where these yellowish stuff coming from and how to clean them out?

·
Registered
62,170 Posts
I'm not sure what the arrows point to... the lip, the warning lights?

Also, it may be related to sun exposure based on the gauge needles lack of color, fading.

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The arrows are pointing to the facing-up surface of the frame's bottom edge where yellowish "coat" materials are showing up. They were looked like dust but I have not been able to wipe them off. The surface would otherwise look black (a bit faded) as other plastic surfaces in the car do. That is the only area where these yellowish stuff show up.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,362 Posts
That bit of the cluster has a kind of rubberised coating. Maybe it's discoloured. On my SEC I overcleaned that part and ended up taking the coating right off. It looks OK without but it was a bit difficult to remove once I realised I'd gone through it in places.

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ianrandom: Thank you for sharing. Are you saying that the "black" is the coating and the structural material of the frame is "yellow" (-- with the black coating faded away in some places it exposes the yellow structural materials under)? I had not thought it this way but it makes sense to me now.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,362 Posts
I was more wondering if your rubberised coating was yellowed somehow. The material underneath is also black, but plastic.

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see. I have no idea if black rubber coating could turn into yellowish. In this case I will leave as it is and not try to wipe it off.

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
536 Posts
FYI, i see your engine is off but the oil pressure sits at 3 bars, your oil pressure sender is bad, you need a new one. mine was doing the same.

In the last couple of years there has been yellowish stuff slowly seeping out on the cluster's frame and I have not been able to wipe them off. It is primarily on the up side of the lower edge and at the lower inner 2 corners:
View attachment 2606496

I have tried with wipe with alcohol and warm water but these yellow stuff seems stuck on the frame. What and where these yellowish stuff coming from and how to clean them out?

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Faiz Jan: Yes, I had a dead oil pressure sender unit and I replaced it last weekend. The photo in post #1 was taken right before the replacement. The oil pressure sender unit replacement thread is here:

Thank you.

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
536 Posts
Good luck with cleaning the cluster, if its bothering you i have a used in a good condition frame i can sell you.

Faiz Jan: Yes, I had a dead oil pressure sender unit and I replaced it last weekend. The photo in post #1 was taken right before the replacement. The oil pressure sender unit replacement thread is here:

Thank you.

·
Registered
1999 Vito 113 638.114
37 Posts
If you are bold:

Can you remove the instrument cluster surround as a separate item? You may wish to experiment with spraying it evenly with two light coats of matt black (no reflections), plastic compatible (no bubbles) spray paint (away from the vehicle) and reinstalling it when fully dry.

Give it a clean with something like methylated spirits before you spray to make sure there is no grease and the paint will then stick well. If the cloth you are cleaning with has lots of gunk coming off the cluster surround, you know the surface has badly deteriorated.

As a precaution, experiment with the back side that is not seen, to see if the spray paint is compatible with the plastic or rubber surface. Mask the inner portion you can see with paper and tape. If the results are pleasing, you can do the front part you can see with confidence. If not, gently put everything back and forget it, or get another from the parts recyclers in better condition.

Send pictures - we are always curious.

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thirsty: Thanks for your inputs.

According to my research the frame is a much bigger piece than it's appearance. Basically, one needs to remove the whole cluster and then remove the inner instrument panel before the frame is stand-alone. (The frame seems to serve as a mounting structure for the instrument panel.)

I have a couple more issues to deal with: (1) I have yet to find the proper procedure for removing the cluster to avoid doing damages to the surroundings on this old car. (2) The mileage and trip counters have been stuck since a couple of weeks ago - they are not turning. If these two counters cannot be repaired, replacing the whole cluster would be considered, provided that a cheap used unit is available.

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Faiz: Thanks for uploading the photos of the part. I am still weighing my options and I will contact you when there is a need of the part. Very much appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
536 Posts
Faiz: Thanks for uploading the photos of the part. I am still weighing my options and I will contact you when there is a need of the part. Very much appreciate your help.
you' re welcome, i will clean it anyway, it was sitting in the attic for a while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts