Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes Benz 300SDL, 250K miles
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently bought my first Mercedes and my first diesel—a 1987 300SDL for $2000 in pretty nice condition. It has needed a few old age repairs, but the mechanics I've been to have all commented that the trans and engine are both looking really great.

Anyways, one of the first repairs I needed to do was have the bushings replaced in the trans. Afterwards, I took the car on a 3,000 mile road trip from Chicago through the Rockies and back to test the car out. It performed wonderfully the entire time, despite being a little smokey on startup in the mountains.

Since I've been back, I begun to run into a problem where after starting the car in neutral (the neutral safety switch is broken so I have to start it this way) the gear stick would not move into reverse. It feels stuck and wont move forward. Sometimes I could fix this by putting it in drive for a few seconds first, or moving forward a few inches in drive, and then it would slide into place nice and easy.

However, there were a few times when I was in a parking space where it took about 15 minutes before it would move into reverse. Not good. I need to be able to pull out in reverse regularly when parking in the city.

In addition, the car would sometime shift real nice and smooth, and yet other times, particularly after driving in stop and go traffic, would shift fairly hard. Most recently, it also seemed to be getting stuck in, or jumping gears a bit.

So, I brought it back in to the transmission place, they looked at it and said they couldn't find anything wrong. There are not leaks, nothing is worn, nada. They suggested I get an engine tuneup, but that was it.

So, to get to the question: what gives? Why does it seem like my trans is acting funny, but the mechanics cant find a thing wrong with it? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that's it

Thanks for your reply. The smoke seems to be normal blue smoke, and it really only happened when I was high up in the mountains.

Since then, the car doesn't smoke, except occasionally on start up if it's been sitting for awhile. I've read this is likely because of leftover fuel in the system.

I'd agree with you about the transmission going, except that the last owner of this car was a diesel mechanic and told me he kept it in good condition. I might have reason to doubt him, except that they guys at the transmission place said they couldn't find a thing wrong with it.

Really, that's the part that gets me. I'm sure if the transmission needed to be overhauled they would tell me, since it would be in their interest to perform the work on it.

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The smoke seems to be normal blue smoke, and it really only happened when I was high up in the mountains.

Since then, the car doesn't smoke, except occasionally on start up if it's been sitting for awhile. I've read this is likely because of leftover fuel in the system.

I'd agree with you about the transmission going, except that the last owner of this car was a diesel mechanic and told me he kept it in good condition. I might have reason to doubt him, except that they guys at the transmission place said they couldn't find a thing wrong with it.

Really, that's the part that gets me. I'm sure if the transmission needed to be overhauled they would tell me, since it would be in their interest to perform the work on it.
My family owned Diesels and Gassers with the same Transmission (722.3). They probably weren't experienced with Mercedes Transmissions. Diesels smoke. I wouldn't be concerned. good luck with the car. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. The smoke's not really what I'm concerned about. I just got this car back from the transmission shop yesterday and it shifted right into reverse, no problem. The mechanics again said it looks great, nothing is worn, everything looks right.

Later in the day, the problem starts up again, where it's like I hit a wall when I go to shift in reverse.

Then, at night, it's back to shifting fine. Generally I notice this problem mostly when the car has been off for a bit. It's never a problem If I've been driving. In fact, once I've reversed the first time, it's not an issue.

The guys at the transmission place didnt charge me and then said it was perfect... what more could you ask for? But still, if I'm having this issue, it must be the transmission, right?

The bottom line is I need to be able to go in reverse all the time. I'm confused as hell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts