Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
87 300e Sat for 2 years, due to a thrown rod, disconnected the battery and drained the gas.

Replaced the Engine with one from a 73k rear ended 300E

Added 10 gallons of fresh fuel.

1. The fuel pumps did not kick on, so I jumpered pins 9 and 11, they came on and I have GREAT pressure to the fuel distributor.

Replaced the fuel pump relay behind battery with a used one, so THEY COME ON, GREAT PRESSURE ON THE VAC AND SUPPLY LINES, AND COLD START INJECTOR..

2.Car starts and RUNS FINE with starting fluid.

3.Checked for fuel at the injectors by removing their lines, NO FUEL TO THE INJECTORS.Even while cranking the engine over

FUEL PRESSURE IS GREAT AT THE COLD START INJECTOR, NONE TO THE OTHER INJECTORS

So I buy a new fuel distributor, NEW EHA and used unit below THE FUEL DISTRIBUTOR, THAT THE DISTRIBUTOR BOLTS TO, still same problem and no return on parts!:crybaby2:

4.The only other weird thing, is that , when you open the door to get in, the red SRS light is lit RED, Im guessing that normal.

Help me out guys, I'm sure there is a simple explanation.

·
Registered
Mercedes 1986 300E 165,000 miles
110 Posts
Wow....well so far so you spent a lot of money on this endevour. Can you confirm if the cold start injector is indeed spraying fuel? If so, the car should start (may not idle) unless you are not getting any spark. Check for spark by using a timing gun. Check each spark plug cable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK JUST PULLED THE COLD INJECOTR-BLUE

the line still connected, turned the car over it shoots out fuel while cranking ! :),and yes the car will start, then die(no idle) on its on, no starting fluid

whats next, the problem, is no fuel to any of the injectors,

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
jumper the FPR, push the metering plate down manually..

Jonathan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so jumper pins 9 and 11

push the circular plate down -key on(all light) or off

look for ? or ?

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Feel free to PM me and I'll try & get you pointed in the
right direction.

·
Registered
110 Posts
aode08...just noticed that you recently registered. Welcome....do a search on your problem in this forum...there are TONS of info on the same subject (sometimes, too much info and can get confusing) and many members are certified MB mechanic. They all welcome PM's (private messages) and will gladly help you. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it appears my distributor for the fuel is shot , according to the mechanic's opinion on here.

I am assuming these can be rebuilt at a dealer or carb shop? or send it back to bosch to be rebuilt, which is cheaper?

I dont know what the inside look likes are if there is a rebuilder's kit etc

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
The OP claims no fuel is coming out of the fuel distributor with
the lines disconnected, but claims fuel sprays from the cold start valve.
That means he has fuel pressure but it's not making
it out to the injectors. The piston in the dist is stuck or the
internal passages are bolcked above the diaphram.

This is based on the information he gave me in multiple PM's.

I can say fuel dist failures are very common on cars/engines
that have sat unstarted for a year or more. Both of his did.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Now be careful, MB mechanics and dealers are notorious in replacing fuel distributors which rarely solves the problem.

It's always good to be careful. However I don't see how a dealer
could charge you for a fuel distributor if the car didn't run
properly when you picked up the car.:confused:

Please elaborate on where you came upon this information about
dealers and especially MB technicians.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now now Clarkz71. I'm not trying to diss you personally. I happen to think that the technicians in this website are quite dedicated, hate to say it, but seems to be more dedicated than our local MB dealership. My father gave me his 300E Feb last year, drove it home from Long Island, NY to Philly. It sat in my driveway and I tried starting it early this month. The cars would not start. So I called our local MB dealership, Allentown, PA and Philly. Both dealership said that it probably needs a new fuel distributor and will cost $3000 to replace. This is without looking at the car. After hours upon hours of reading through this forum, I finally got the car to start. I replaced the spark plug, rotor and cap, adjusted air sensor and air/gas mixture. Car is now starting up.

·
Registered
1987 300TD - 1981 300D - 1990 190E 2.6 (Non Running for Sale) - 1993 190E 2.3
285 Posts
Yo

I just went through this...have you done any adjustments to the Air/Gas Mixture underneath the air cleaner?

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
I would avoid that dealer. No wonder you made such a claim.

To diagnose a car on the phone like that is BS.

No offense taken.

Reactions: Doni

·
Registered
110 Posts
Clarkz71....hey no sweat bud, we're not here to piss anyone off or to even to prove we know more than anyone...just trying to help each other out.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Agreed. .:thumbsup: The only reason I'm on this forum is to help out and learn
about problems I have not seen yet. Even after 27 years I havn't seen it all.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Pushing the plate down (doesn't matter if the key is on or off, just need pressure/FPR jumpered) will show you w/ the injectors removed if the FD is moving fuel..

Sometimes after sitting for a while you can blow things out by undoing all the fuel lines @ the dist. and pushing the air plate to WOT.. If it's working properly it will flow quite a bit of fuel, so be prepared!

I've taken apart FD'ers and the part that Usually fails (the main diaphragm) isn't available...as such I use CIS Flowtech units. They work Great, Larry Knows what he's doing when it comes to CIS/CISE.

Jonathan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so you cant clear the unit out with compressed air, without destroying it, ill be looking for another unit lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but ill tell you something, these vehicles are for the rich, as the parts cost 4-5 times as much as a Domestic Vehicle and the Service more complicated

1 - 20 of 25 Posts