·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I just failed the California Smog emissions test with my 1987 300E

HC and NO were high

see results below

any ideas on where to start, I just changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and an oil change before the test

Attachments

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
You will need a new oxygen sensor and a catalytic converter as a start.
Those alone will bring down your values significantly (like 40% - 60% assuming the ones you have are shot, they look like it)

If it still does not pass the 15MPH but passes the 25MPH test that is because the CAT is not hot enough for the first test. Second one (25MPH) will always do better.
Find a test center that is willing to preheat the CAT before they start the testing. Basically you need to be on the rollers and do a dummy 15MPH test before they start the real testing sequence.

How much oil is this car burning?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Isn't the car emissions exempt for the year?
In Texas cars older than 1994 are exempt along with all diesel models.

Jetdude

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
Will send you a PM Fredzrez. Pretty sure you will need a new O2 sensor and a Cat assuming the Cat is original and the O2 sensor has many miles on it and probably a lot of soot as well.

BTW your last test was botched. The CAT was not hot enough when the 15mph test was done. You can see how much better the 25mph turned out as the CAT warmed up. It would have failed no matter what though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to pass along an update.

I changed the CAT and the vehicle passed smog today. NO way down, HC is down as well but still a bit high.

Still pan to change the O2 senor, it is super tight, multiple applications of PB blaster, will try to remove in teh next day or two if still tight will have someone take a torch to it.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions.

·
W201 Moderator
2,167 Posts
Good to hear! You went down the same path I did a couple years back. Same story with mine CAT made it pass, about 3 years back. And passed again last year.

Congratulations! You numbers look like you will probably pass in 2 years again.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear! You went down the same path I did a couple years back. Same story with mine CAT made it pass, about 3 years back. And passed again last year.

Congratulations! You numbers look like you will probably pass in 2 years again.

- Cheers!
dolucasi - thank you for sharing your experience and all your knowledge and advice.

I was on the fence, considering to salvage the vehicle, but your enthusiasm inspired me to hang onto it.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
fredzrez
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing