Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 300d turbo. when i open the line of the first injector the pressure is high and come a lot of diesel and the cars revolutions dropped. But when i opened the rest of the injectors the amount off diesel is very low. The car is smoking a lot. A truck diesel mechanic told me that the ip pump is not good and i need to replace it. But i am not sure of that, the only thing i did was to changed the o rings and the washer of the valve elements. But when i was doing the first injector i loose the spring of the valve element. But no deal because i have another pump and I replaced it. The injectors nozzles are news and calibrated to 2,000 psi. The car start fast, but has a fail. It is possible that i need to sent to calibrate the pump? if it is so, how much is the cost for that? I am from Edison, New Jersey. I do not want to go to Ray Catena (mercedes dealer) because they was bulling at me when i told them my car is a 1987. We checked the whole system, looking if something was clogged, but everything was right. I am thinking that the first injector is injecting too much diesel and maybe that is the problem. if you have any advised i will be very please to follow.

·
Registered
16,767 Posts
Your IP should not need to be retimed if all you did was change the delivery valve seals with the pump left inplace. If you removed the IP without locking the IP cam, then all bets are off.

Your issue with injector #1 might be that the spring is not seated properly. I suspect that your engine is running too rich and thus creating too much smoke.

Check this link for the procedure on how to do this job. It's for a OM606, but 98% the same as your OM603.

PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the Delivery Valve Seals

FYI, the IP pumps never really die unless you start playing russian roulette with the fuel system like using waste vegetable oil (WVO). Pump biofuels are OK, but waste oil is exactly that, waste and should not be recycled into a fuel for your vehicle.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Your IP should not need to be retimed if all you did was change the delivery valve seals with the pump left inplace. If you removed the IP without locking the IP cam, then all bets are off.

Your issue with injector #1 might be that the spring is not seated properly. I suspect that your engine is running too rich and thus creating too much smoke.

Check this link for the procedure on how to do this job. It's for a OM606, but 98% the same as your OM603.

PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the Delivery Valve Seals

FYI, the IP pumps never really die unless you start playing russian roulette with the fuel system like using waste vegetable oil (WVO). Pump biofuels are OK, but waste oil is exactly that, waste and should not be recycled into a fuel for your vehicle.

SBAERT --- this is exactly where fuel is leaking,,, two of them look new/recently replaced!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts