Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 260E (SOLD) ;;; 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a `87 260e, with 200+ thousand miles. The guy before me said put a battery and fuel pump relay in and she'd run- 80$ later the car doesnt even click when you turn the key. Another thing is that you can shift into all gears freely without using the brake or having the key in. Any ideas? Please guys i can use all the help i can get, im relatively new to these cars but i do turn wrenches. Any help, tests etc, would be appreciatted! I intended to use this car as a daily driver so the faster i get it running the better!

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Sounds like the starter interlock (and by association, the ignition switch) is kaput. Unfortunately if this is the case, the dash will likely need to come off to R&R the ignition switch properly. If you've got tiny hands maybe only the lower dash abs center console need come out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the ignition switch will turn into the starter position, but you have to turn the key all the way off to get it to go in again. And as for the interlock system, can you tell me how to test the components of it, or link me to another thread or url that would be somewhat model specific? And what about the transmission shifting without the brake being depressed? Does that sound like a major problem?

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
The ignition switch is behind the ignition lock so even if the key will turn it doesn't mean that the switch is working. One thing you can check is to have someone turn over the engine with you under the hood checking for the clicking of the starter solenoid. If you don't even hear that then I would definitely suspect the switch. The starter interlock consists of the steering wheel lock and the transmission lock. I believe that the transmission lock is connected up via a cable from the ignition switch assembly.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,744 Posts
Your ignition key is operating correctly. Some early/odd models didn't have the shift interlock function or it may have been disabled. Put the car in neutral and see if it will fire.

Jayare

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
^^^ This...
Or at least my 86 does not need a key on to get out of park... Gotta admit I like it! Not like I intend to have a bunch of brats playing in my car! :p

Hopefully it is a simple mis-adjusted neut switch...

Something you could try...

HOLD THE IGNITION in 'start' with one hand, and run the shift lever thru the gears to see if it turns over in some position OTHER THAN P or N...
If not, Id suspect the neut switch too...
:D

·
Registered
1992 300ce, 3.0, 207,00 mi.
335 Posts
Sounds like PO may have put in a used battery. Before going any further ck battery voltage, should be at 12.6V. Then have someone try and start the car w/ VM reading battery and V should drop no more than around 11V.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i got the chance today to go out and buy a brand new battery, after trying the above suggestions. I dropped her in and turned the key and she turned right over! However she still won`t run. It doesnt appear to be getting fuel. I unplugged what seems to be the main fuel line that goes to all the injectors, put it in a container, and cranked the engine,no fuel came out whatsoever. But when i first opened the fitting with a wrench a small amount of fuel came out. Im wondering if maybe its a clogged fuel filter? A bad fuel pump? I just put the brand new fuel pump relay. And also im performing all these tests with the air cleaner off, perhaps that has something to do with it? If i pour gas down the air barrel it'll run, but just dies after it burns off the fuel. What should i test and how? Thanks for all the response!

·
Registered
92 400E, 95 S500,91 300TE practically stole it, 97 V10 Ford E350 to tow them home from time to time
4,492 Posts
Fuel pressure, do you hear the pump when you first turn the key? Air cleaner on or off won't matter while testing. Test the pump(s) for electricity at the pump. What the accumulator look like?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So where would i test the fuel pressure at? And what does the accumulator look like? Its hard to listen for the fuel pumps, due to the annoying buzzing sound that happens when the key is turned. How many fuel filters and pumps are there?

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
The relay is back behind the brand-new battery... likely the 1st of 2... the other one being for the AC...

Turn the switch on... get out... pull relay... put back in.
you will likely be able to hear the pump running from where you are.
No whirring... no running...
Still could be relay tho.... just had some of that with mine. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts