Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E55 AMG
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys, I currently own 01 e55 amg, but the other day I was looking at 1987 190 e mercedes. Its clean, with 167000 miles. He doesn't have any maintenance history but he swears up and down that the engine have been rebuild. Car doesn't seem to leak / burn anyrhing, interior in good shape, new paint, it's got that amg bodykit on it so I'm not sure if its amg or not? What do you guys sugest I offer him as reasonable price? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Have any pictures of it? If it truely is an AMG, then it will be worth alot more than if it isn't.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,231 Posts
Those years may have AMG body kit including : Front lip side skirt and rear bumper molded with letters AMG but can't remember much ( Getting old..), I don't think has AMG engine on that neither but if you could snap pictures of it all and post here We may help before you pay $$ for a badged AMG
Side note : Source from Wiki...
AMG was not part of Mercedes-Benz when the 190 was first produced, but a separate racing and tuning company. As AMG had a lot of racing experience, they were tuning all the factory petrol engines for the customers and 190 E was one of them. Engine tuning added 25 bhp (19 kW). They fitted aerodynamic features (spoilers) improving Cw and high speed stability, alloy wheels, leather interior and larger engines up to 6 liter V8's. After victories in DTM with AMG 190 E 16V's, Mercedes bought AMG in 1991. The 190 E 3.2 AMG was the first model sold through Mercedes-Benz dealerships with Mercedes-Benz new car warranty. About 200 complete cars were made, in black or silver: they were very expensive (about $90,000). Besides 200 complete 190 E 3.2 AMG's, Mercedes-Benz sold AMG body kits and 3.2l AMG engines separately, so there are 190's fitted with those features from factory or afterward. Sporty 190E 3.2 AMG straight-six 12 valve engines produced 234 bhp (174 kW), and reached 260 km/h (162 mph).

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,231 Posts
As far as I know 1987 190E with 167000 is $1500-4000 car, what about AMG?
Sorry guys, I wish I had pictures ... is there anything else besides the exterior upgrades I can check for that will show me if it's AMG or not? VIN#?
With or without pictures the Mercedes are : PRICELESS .:D

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
I highly doubt that it is an AMG or he would want alot of money for it.
Without pictures it is hard for us to tell what it is.
I am willing to bet it just has an AMG bodykit on it.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
I'll assume that it's also the 2.3L M102 4 cylinder, rebuilt as the seller says . . . but we don't know how many miles on the rebuild or what the rebuild consists of. Essentially a rebuilt M102 8 valve engine adds nothing to the value of the car, since it would need an engine anyway.

The bodykit could be anything from AMG, a 2.3-16, Zender, BBS, Carlsson, Lorinser, etc. A bodykit of that nature might add anywhere from $400 to $1000 to an 8 valve car, depending on brand and condition.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I understand all of that guys, all what I'm asking is how much AMG goes for with 167k now days?
No, apparently you don't understand. Let's break this down.

1) There weren't many AMG tuned cars in the US during that period, and not many resold, so there's no readily available database of values;

2) Prices will greatly depend on the actual condition of the vehicle, including but not limited to, the physical condition of the bodywork, chassis and related cosmetic trim;

3) Prices will also greatly depend on what level of tuning the car may have to be "AMG." If there's only an aero kit and wheels, that's going to have a value that is a mere fraction of a car that has the engine tuning or perhaps the Recaro sport interior done by AMG.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
No, apparently you don't understand. Let's break this down.

1) There weren't many AMG tuned cars in the US during that period, and not many resold, so there's no readily available database of values;

2) Prices will greatly depend on the actual condition of the vehicle, including but not limited to, the physical condition of the bodywork, chassis and related cosmetic trim;

3) Prices will also greatly depend on what level of tuning the car may have to be "AMG." If there's only an aero kit and wheels, that's going to have a value that is a mere fraction of a car that has the engine tuning or perhaps the Recaro sport interior done by AMG.
Do you get these Mr Anatoly ?
There no suck thing thing like that seller is trying lure you to the legend of AMG ( unless that was made in and by :crybaby2:China AMG bagger..) anyway if you're own one AMG then you know better than us..Good luck but it maybe it's true too .
MTI : how'r thing 4 for you " by any chance do you know spec of Aux fan/censor switch locates on the engine ( 3 poles) temp F/degree ? My 16v get very hot up to 120 but not activates my aux/fan ..Thanks.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
by any chance do you know spec of Aux fan/censor switch locates on the engine ( 3 poles) temp F/degree ? My 16v get very hot up to 120 but not activates my aux/fan ..Thanks.
In the US, I believe that the electromagnetic fan would kick in at approx 100C.

Simple test for the sensor and fan is to use a piece of insulated wire to "short" the wire harness to the sensor. By bridging the plug, the electromagnetic clutch should engage with an audible "click" when the engine is off. If the engine is running, the fan will engage. If it does, then the issue is likely the sensor; if it does not, then the issue is either the wiring to and including the plug or the magnetic clutch itself.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
In the US, I believe that the electromagnetic fan would kick in at approx 100C.

Simple test for the sensor and fan is to use a piece of insulated wire to "short" the wire harness to the sensor. By bridging the plug, the electromagnetic clutch should engage with an audible "click" when the engine is off. If the engine is running, the fan will engage. If it does, then the issue is likely the sensor; if it does not, then the issue is either the wiring to and including the plug or the magnetic clutch itself.
Thanks .. in 16v it has two sensors : Aux/fan switch sensor(MB #006-545-45-24 -GREEN) has 3 poles I jumped directly then aux fan ran and did the same to the other I believed it's TS-542 RED two poles is for engine clutch (5 blades) fan there's no clutch engage. Idle engine up to 120 degree and both failed to kick on unless bridged one.
I do know my electromag/clutch was toasted but aux/fan is OK but ..
PS : Could be Aux/fan resistor ( Mercedes part # 000-158-25-45 ) ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those years may have AMG body kit including : Front lip side skirt and rear bumper molded with letters AMG but can't remember much ( Getting old..), I don't think has AMG engine on that neither but if you could snap pictures of it all and post here We may help before you pay $$ for a badged AMG
Side note : Source from Wiki...
AMG was not part of Mercedes-Benz when the 190 was first produced, but a separate racing and tuning company. As AMG had a lot of racing experience, they were tuning all the factory petrol engines for the customers and 190 E was one of them. Engine tuning added 25 bhp (19 kW). They fitted aerodynamic features (spoilers) improving Cw and high speed stability, alloy wheels, leather interior and larger engines up to 6 liter V8's. After victories in DTM with AMG 190 E 16V's, Mercedes bought AMG in 1991. The 190 E 3.2 AMG was the first model sold through Mercedes-Benz dealerships with Mercedes-Benz new car warranty. About 200 complete cars were made, in black or silver: they were very expensive (about $90,000). Besides 200 complete 190 E 3.2 AMG's, Mercedes-Benz sold AMG body kits and 3.2l AMG engines separately, so there are 190's fitted with those features from factory or afterward. Sporty 190E 3.2 AMG straight-six 12 valve engines produced 234 bhp (174 kW), and reached 260 km/h (162 mph).
Hi There, Do you know much about the 1992 190E AMG 3.2. I am sure I have just purchased one but finding out accurate details is very difficult. seems to have all the good options on the Datacard. Any clues on how to tell if it is one of the 200 factory cars?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi There, Do you know much about the 1992 190E AMG 3.2. I am sure I have just purchased one but finding out accurate details is very difficult. seems to have all the good options on the Datacard. Any clues on how to tell if it is one of the 200 factory cars?
Are you the same person posting in the other thread as "DAAAYMO"?

There was someone else asking about AMGs the other day. Here is what I posted in that thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190-class/2558961-new.html#post13759961

To cut a long story short, genuine AMG 3.2s are very rare. Pictures would help authenticate (both of the body and engine bay). I would think it impossible that you've purchased one by mistake: the people who have these know what they are.

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
I understand all of that guys, all what I'm asking is how much AMG goes for with 167k now days?
I think what they are trying to say is there is not anywhere near enough info to give you a price. the real value is what you would pay for it. We are not talking about a very popular benz here either. All amg cars of that era are different. It was an aftermarket tuning company at that point.

so it is worth 1 to 50k dollars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok. Well how do you know yours is a 3.2? Did the seller just tell you it was an AMG or was it supplied with supporting documentation? How did you acquire the car? E.g. was it from a collector or a random craigslist ad? You mention the data card - can you post it here? What does the car look like? Does it have the body kit like the one in the picture I posted on the other thread? Are there any tell-tale signs in the engine bay?

If you want people to help you authenticate the car you will need to post more information/pictures.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts