Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 190d 2.5TD, 98 ML320, 09 CLS550
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
More progress updates...

Got my old fender well removed. Takes much more work when you cannot take the sawz-all to it.

As promised.. I said I would break for a mini-howto on rust panel replacement and repair... So let's start with some of the tools you will need for such a job...

A drill and grinder are gonna be staples of this job. We not only need to remove thick seam sealer and get to the spot-welds, but need to drill out the spot welds as well.

This is the little bugger used for drilling out spot welds:

Here are some additional tools you will find very useful:

All 3 tools will cost you less than $100 down at Hazard Fraught. Seriously though, the central pneumatic angle grinder and drill are actually pretty damn good. I have used the hell out of the ones pictured with zero issue.

The angle drill is not needed if you can easily get to all the spot welds with your normal drill. Experience has taught me that there is almost always at least one or two welds that you just cannot get to with a normal drill. Some, you cannot even reach with angle drill. For the really hard-to-reach spot welds, the mini-die-grinder shown above w/ a good curved carbide bit is indispensable - trust me.

The process is not too difficult: Strip out the seam sealer and drill the center of each spot weld out with a 1/8" bit. Then, take the spot weld drill bit and drill out the top layer on each one. Many will separate instantly, others may need a nudge after drilling with a small chisel or mini pry bar and hammer.

Here are some pics:

And she is out!

·
Registered
87 190d 2.5TD, 98 ML320, 09 CLS550
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So tonight and tomorrow I will have some free time to clean up the frame/chassis where the old rusted out panel was removed as well as clean up and prep the new panel that will be welded in place.

Hopefully I can go pick up a new C25/Ar tank for the MIG next week sometime.

Bit by bit.. every last spot of rust will be cut out and replaced with new metal before I start the actual bodywork.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts