Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A problem...my ignition key won't turn and the steering wheel is locked (thankfully the wheels are pointing straight)

I opened the sunroof a few hours earler and it worked fine and the key turned on and off easily on that occasion.

Two hours later I load the car up to go out and yowzers its stuck and just wouldn't turn on.

I called the RAA out and they sprayed CRC in the barrel and tried turning the key while jiggling the steering wheel, but that didn't work then and it hasn't worked every other time I have gone out and tried that either.

I had my mechanic look at it and he couldn't get it to do anything.

His advice was to ring the local dealer and ask what they thought it could be and how much it could cost.

I have had no previous signs that things were on the way out, it turned freely every time.

I have been quoted big bucks over the phone, but, as yet no one knows whether its

a) the barrel or b) the steering lock or c) something else.

As a last resort I will more than likely have to have 'her' towed to the local dealer, which isn't far away at all to find out for certain what exactly is wrong.

Are there any clues from out there from any knowlegeable ones who might have been in this situation before?

I thank you for your time in reading this and I hope someone can help

·
Registered
93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado ; 07' S211 280 CDI
1,011 Posts
I understand that Your gear selector is in P position, but You cannot turn the key to start or to remove it from the tumbler.

Spraying CRC in there only made the things worse - never spray a lubricant into a Mercedes tumbler.

Try to play with the key - try turning it while pulling out of the tumbler or pushing into it.

If that doesn't work, the dealership is probably Your only option.

·
Registered
gotta catch em all
34 Posts
You may try the search function to see how others have solved this problem. At this point it is probably too late to turn the key and remove the tumbler in one piece. But who knows, you could be the lucky one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 300TD Wagon
2 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 87 300TDT. One day, out of the blue, my key wouldn't work. It would unlock all of the doors, but no dice in the ignition. Out of curiosity (and frustration) I grabbed the spare and gave it a go - worked fine. Went to the dealer that day and ordered a new key. Haven't had any problems since... My best guess judging from the condition of my key is that it had become worn down just enough to be ineffective in the tumbler. If you have a spare key you may want to give it a try before you start pulling anything apart.

·
Registered
W124
5,169 Posts
Yes it doesn't take an expert to use the "search" feature to find the solution. It might have saved you some time and money. As mentioned, don't spray liquid into a lock cylinder.

When you get your replacement lock cylinder from the dealer and are ready to replace it, spray dry graphite into the cylinder and work the key in and out. If you are lucky you will get one last use out of the cylinder in order to replace it. If you should decide to spray graphite in before you get a replacement, and then use the car until it happens again - you may well deserve everything that follows. This is an easy problem to resolve if you follow the recommended method.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
You need a new tumbler. Keep trying to get the key to turn to the 2nd position otherwise you have to drill it out. Literally. The anti-theft shield is tough as hell too. Ask me how I know.

Do a search, plenty of threads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys.

The problem has yet to be rectified and I am getting used to walking to work.

Yes I do know how to use the search function and have read as much as possible. I have contacted places by phone and the general consensus is that it is the ignition barrel.

I contacted the local dealer and was quoted over $300 for the barrel with no keys.

Once I was brought around using smelling salts I got busy and arranged and ordered one for just on a third of the price.

I have it booked in to be looked at so have to have her towed this week.

Considering there was no prior warning I am scratching my head at the whole episode.

I suppose I am glad that it happened at home and not somewhere out of the way.

I shall report back as to what happened

Cheers

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
$300? Either they are out of their mind or they think you need the entire unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure they are out of their mind.

I rang back the next day to confirm the price I was given and also to confirm the part that the price was for.

Needless to say I won't be taking her there to be fiddled with

1 - 10 of 10 Posts