Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
son left the trunk open for several days.......battery ran down to 8vdc.....got new battery and hooked it up....when ignition turned, all gauges work....but ignition does nothing. new to these benz, is there a reset somewhere ? any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,880 Posts
son left the trunk open for several days.......battery ran down to 8vdc.....got new battery and hooked it up....when ignition turned, all gauges work....but ignition does nothing. new to these benz, is there a reset somewhere ? any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to the forum. Which SDL is it? Not that it matters, I was just going to ask if it's in gear, or if selecting other gears or jiggling the lever will get it being able to start?

Would be great if you could fill out your profile when you get time.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,291 Posts
What exactly does "ignition does nothing" mean? (Diesels don't have ignition.)

Do you mean the starter motor doesn't come on? Or do you mean the engine cranks but doesn't fire? If it doesn't crank, try wiggling the shifter or starting in neutral. (It's not in gear, is it?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
engine does not crank.......turn the key gauges work but starter motor does not engage

·
Registered
W124 E260 auto
8 Posts
My 2 cents. Is the car in park? My sister often calls me saying she's stuck. Car won't start because it's in drive.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,291 Posts
Are you sure the new battery is fully charged?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum. Which SDL is it? Not that it matters, I was just going to ask if it's in gear, or if selecting other gears or jiggling the lever will get it being able to start?

Would be great if you could fill out your profile when you get time.

Do you mean the starter motor doesn't come on? Or do you mean the engine cranks but doesn't fire? If it doesn't crank, try wiggling the shifter or starting in neutral. (It's not in gear, is it?)
i shifted thru the range and made sure it wasin park....no change
My 2 cents. Is the car in park? My sister often calls me saying she's stuck. Car won't start because it's in drive.
positive....thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

cycled it thru the gears and is definately in park....no change

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have disconnected the battery, and gonna wait a day or 2 to reconnect...see what happens

also the battery was fully charged, but trickling it while disconnected just to be positive....thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,291 Posts
There is nothing to reset. I think you must be overlooking something. My first guess is you haven't gotten good contact with the battery cables. Do you have the factory (or any other) alarm? Does the starter make any noise? Clicking? I'm not sure, but, if you put on the parking or headlights, what happens when you try to start the car?

Get a test light and probe the solenoid wire on the starter. Does it light when you move the key to "start"? Are the connections to the starter clean and tight?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts