Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 SDL It was running nicely, starting great no real problems other than an annoying leak on the front engine seal. So I decided to replace the seal, the water pump and some other parts - hoses and other small seals stuff like that. Put in new oil 50 weight the good stuff.

Then I put it all back together and it ran like knocking sound and no oil pressure so I guickly stopped it. Sounded rough and rattling. I took off the oil inspection plate on the side of the motor and I found the chain was broken and some metal parts I have attached a picture. The chain is broken in one spot.

The two thin silver tubes about 1 inch long and as thick as a pencil. I don't know what they are.

I am good at fixing things but I don't know where to start what are those two tubes and do I need a whole new oil pump or what? I would appreciate some advice to get my car up and running again.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
Oil pump drive chain, DO NOT attempt to run the engine anymore. You will need to drop the secondary oil pan and possibly the main oil pan to access the area. I don't know why it failed like this but it's not a good thing to have happen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply.

Do you have a diagram or something on how to install the new chain? I would be able to do it. I hope it didn't do any other damage. It ran about 5-10 seconds and I shut it off.

I had a long weekend figured I would do some work on my car now it's this I had no indication something like this was lurking.

When I get the chain to put in is there some other seals or parts I should replace at the same time to make it better. I would rather do it now than down the road in a month or two or even less as in in this case...:crybaby2:.

What about those two rollers where do they go in?

Any help is much apppreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts