Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gen2 1986 500SE that was brought by its German owner to the USA in 2010. Looks intact, with km/h speedo, bumpers, and whatnot.

Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series | eBay

VIN: WDB1260361A273193
VEHICLE TYPE: Car
MODEL NAME: 500 SE
ENGINE: 117965 12 011374
TRANSMISSION: 722311 02 820414
BODY: 01503
ORDER NUMBER: 0622700930
LIGHTS: BOSCH
WIPER: 000000
INTERIOR COLOR: 273
PAINTS: 473

240 OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE INDICATOR

245 ON-BOARD COMPUTER

430 HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT

480 SELF-LEVELLING SUSPENSION

570 FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT

600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT

640 15-HOLE LIGHT ALLOY RIMS

682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER

731 WOOD TRIM BURRED WALNUT ROOT

835 SOUTHERN KOREA-SUPPLEMENTARY PARTS

873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I love that instrument cluster (trip computer). One of my favorite options from Mercedes on the w126.

Strange that it is a gen II but without the collar on the wood over the steering column. Maybe didn't come on the late 85 early 86 euros.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I thought the collar came with the telescoping wheel option? Rose is 3/86 and she does not have it either.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
like the car, not crazy about the intereior color. Haven't seen yet the lumbar suppor dial as seen on the pass seat. Love the on board computer! Good eye on the collar issue. I too think it should have the collar with the adjustable steering wheel.

·
9,038 Posts
Nearly identical to the one I stumbled upon recently, but this one seems to be entirely Euro with no federalization done. As noted, the "collar" was found on models with the telescoping steering options. Most Gen II US specs came with it standard so it looks awkward seeing a Gen II without the option.

·
9,038 Posts
I love that instrument cluster (trip computer). One of my favorite options from Mercedes on the w126.

Strange that it is a gen II but without the collar on the wood over the steering column. Maybe didn't come on the late 85 early 86 euros.
Its a very rare option.. but unfortunately its an All-German item and in metric. So readings would be in km's and L/100km's. Still a very nice item to have in a car.

·
SuperModerator
13,272 Posts
The lumbar support is actually just a seat adjuster, meaning this car was specced without power seats. Which is odd considering its other spec.
Its for the recline function, and if you pull it out it adjusts the headrests.

The collar thing is odd actually. I have one car with and one car without telescopic steering column, and both have the collar. I also have an early '86 and that has it too. In fact i've never seen one without it. Strange. Just a small thing though but well spotted. I like the car it looks nice. And i drove a 500SE gen 2 recently and liked it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Is it just me, or does it look like it has a US exhaust system?

I do not see any down pipes on the driver side. (4th and 5th pic from top right column of the ebay listing). The heat shield is there. Only one US style cat on the pass side. This car should have at least the proper euro dual pipe, or better yet tri-y's as I see the 965 motors often.

·
9,038 Posts
Is it just me, or does it look like it has a US exhaust system?

I do not see any down pipes on the driver side. (4th and 5th pic from top right column of the ebay listing). The heat shield is there. Only one US style cat on the pass side. This car should have at least the proper euro dual pipe, or better yet tri-y's as I see the 965 motors often.
I know that its a popular belief here that all Euro motors either have Tri-Y's or "Euro logs", but these two exhaust systems are not the only ones found on Euro spec models.

The system found on US 560's are not US specific... as many M117 and M116 powered Euro motors also came equipped this way.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I just bought this car, sight unseen. I pretty much wanted a SE for a while now (blame 420SE and his blatant bromance for his vehicle) and after emailing with the seller (who seems like a straight shooter), believe this to be an original, well maintained Gen2 example. Recent work includes a complete professional respray (including decladding, replacement glass, all new rubber seals, sunroof and headliner).

According to the seller (third owner), this car was only driven in the summer and garaged in the winter. The German TÜV on it is good until March 2012 and for those unfamiliar with that inspection, it's a fairly stringent mechanical checkup which neither of my w126s (and probably most cars on this forum) would be likely to pass. The seller is moving back to Germany and does not want to pay for shipping it for a second time.

Now of course the fun begins...and I'd be very interested in any information on

a) what's the best way to ship this car from coast to coast
and
b) what's the best way to make this car CA legal (smog ref, whatever). Well, at least it has a Florida title.

I'll also be in the market for a brown driver's seat...the original Recaro drivers seat regrettably was replaced with one without an armrest. Also, the fire extinguisher did not make it over. The rest of the car looks solid.

I guess you can now officially count me in with the BW crowd that is antsily awaiting the delivery of their w126!!!

Cheers,
Kalif

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nice! If I wasn't getting married next month I would have bought it sight unseen as well .... and it went on THE CHEAP! Can't wait to hear more about it.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congratulations!! A Gen2 shorty!! :thumbsup:!

The fact the car is 25 years old now will possibly be a factor in making it easier to legalize here, hopefully? The community college up here has a BAR referee so check yours out. Does sound like the federalization was pretty thorough on the engine portion if it has an exhaust setup like that.

I am junking a 560SEL, if any parts to pass CA referee are needed feel free to hit me up.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
kalifornia,

You are lucky I never heard about this one.

Because probably I would have sniped it away from you.

Congrats!

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Thanks for the offer, Bondavi! The car is already titled in the US and has a EURO2 Cat designation (not related to Gen2 Euro), meaning that it passed current/strict German smog requirements last year so I am hopeful it will pass here. I'll look for a smog ref and will report back.
Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts