Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL 189,000 miles. 1995 E320 201,000 miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad has a 1986 560SL. What is the original finish on these wheels? His are peeling and I'm told that someone must have painted them in the past. It appears to be a clearcoat that is peeling off.

I see The Tire Rack sells ASA wheels and lists the finish as "painted." He is considering these as replacements, but doesn't want to end up with the peeling problem down the road. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With the "MOPF", the german word for the last huge model upgrading the cars got the "Kanaldeckel" (German nick for "manhole cover") because they look like the manhole cover on the streets in Germany. Don't laugh, it's true. These wheels you 'll find here http://www.107sl-freunde.de/modules.php?name=gallery&op=show_single_car&uname=bache116
They have a polish only for protection.

If you have further and other questions, pls feel free to post them here http://www.107sl-freunde.de Even when everything is in German, don't hesitate to post in English, somebody will answer in English.

Take care

Skezzo

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Just take the rims to a body shop and have them repainted. They'll look good as new again!

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Take them to a powder coater. Dry plastic powder is electrostatically sprayed onto wheel, then baked until plastic liquifies - covering wheel in question at the smallest level. Really shine, offered in different colors, even stock M-B. Powder coat is extremely tough. Can polish up bare aluminum wheel and coat with clear also for excellent result.

Regards

·
Registered
85 300cd, 2000 ford excursion diesel, 1999 528 itwagon 95 roadking
371 Posts
the rims are painted from factory and then clear coated companys like prefprmance products in California sell the oem paint as well as others.I beleve the silver is called astrial silver good luck

·
Registered
1986 560-SL
57 Posts
Quote from the Service Manual:

"The forged light alloy wheels have an offset (ET) of 25mm.

The construction and design are from model 201."

That's all it says. I just went out and looked at mine and I really can't tell if it's the actual metal alloy or some type of coating. One possibility would be to remove a wheel, take off the inside plastic dust cover and see if the inside of the wheel has the same finish.

Stan

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
GermanStar said:
Just take the rims to a body shop and have them repainted. They'll look good as new again!
Ron,
to recondition them it's $150 per wheel not really a bargain.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Well, it was cheaper back in 2004 when I posted that. :D But seriously, why would a body shop charge $600 to sandblast and paint 4 wheels? That sounds kinda crazy.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,341 Posts
I like the powder coat idea the best. I frequntly have stuff powder coated for work and the results are very good. Surprizingly affordable as well.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,202 Posts
Better get a good powder coat job or the wheels will just peel again. 150$ each sounds about what it would cost to get a good job done. I read something in a magazine about what goes into powder coating, it's not nice. You have to get all of the old coating off, and make sure there is no moisture. Powder coating takes somethink like 7 sets. This is the reason why my wheels look so bad, I found out it is not worth it to get them repowder coated. I'd be better off buying a set of new rims. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, it was cheaper back in 2004 when I posted that. :D But seriously, why would a body shop charge $600 to sandblast and paint 4 wheels? That sounds kinda crazy.
You could always find some weekend body-shopper to clean and paint your wheels for half the price. Of course you'll only get half the quality... which I guess is all some people want!

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
627 Posts
I have experienced headaches with powder coating these wheels. If you find someone that has specifically done these before, with the correct color, maybe. The problem is that the color tones never seem to end up correct. You can choose the correct color from the pallet, but when it is completed, they always seem to end up darker with a grayish tone and look wrong.

You can strip and paint and then clear coat with a hardned paint which is how it was done originally and how I end up doing mine. The color is
735 astral silver (astralsilber)

·
Registered
1986 560SL
47 Posts
Be very careful if powder coating. Most powder coating don't mask off areas like the hub, valve stem and bolt holes and make the coating too thick. This isn't like coating a metal bar for a swing set. You end up with a wheel that leaks air, will not fit on the hub properly and will not balance. There are a few that do the job right but not many, Unless you have a trusted resource, I would paint them.

·
Premium Member
2007 ML320CDI, 1959 220SE, 1971 280SL, 1982 380SL
627 Posts
There are steel inserts inside the lug bolt holes. Powder coating makes a proper seating and torque of those lug bolts on the seat very difficult. If powder coating, the steel hub bolt surfaces must be protected. Not hard to do, just put in a through bolt with a washer covering the insert. Dont count on the powder coater to do this. I find they say "yes", and shake their heads, but then often don't follow through.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts