Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

My brother (who passed away in 2004) owned a 1986 560SL and it sat (with little use by his widow) since then. Over Thanksgiving dinner she told me she has been trying to sell it and I immediately told her I wanted it. I picked it up at her house on Saturday and drove it the 100 or so miles to their cottage to pick up the hardtop. Surprisingly (other than the badly flatspotted tires) the car seemed to run better as the miles passed. I folded the soft top and with some help figured out how to attach the hardtop to the car (four points and a locating point in the center rear). I spent this Sunday cleaning the interior and wanted to remove the top to make cleaning easier. All four attach points are loose and we can lift the top -except no matter what we do that fifth rear point won't loosen. I've even tried gently trying to pry the top and even placed a wood wedge to tap that anchor-still hung up. It wants to lift the soft top cover up with it. Any suggestions on how to get this off?

Maximumbob

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Lever behind driver

Hello everyone

My brother (who passed away in 2004) owned a 1986 560SL and it sat (with little use by his widow) since then. Over Thanksgiving dinner she told me she has been trying to sell it and I immediately told her I wanted it. I picked it up at her house on Saturday and drove it the 100 or so miles to their cottage to pick up the hardtop. Surprisingly (other than the badly flatspotted tires) the car seemed to run better as the miles passed. I folded the soft top and with some help figured out how to attach the hardtop to the car (four points and a locating point in the center rear). I spent this Sunday cleaning the interior and wanted to remove the top to make cleaning easier. All four attach points are loose and we can lift the top -except no matter what we do that fifth rear point won't loosen. I've even tried gently trying to pry the top and even placed a wood wedge to tap that anchor-still hung up. It wants to lift the soft top cover up with it. Any suggestions on how to get this off?

Maximumbob
There is a lever on the drivers side rear storage area that needs to be turned to release the center attachment point in the rear.

It has a smaller locking lever that must be moved first, then simply rotate the large lever, (I can't remember which way, but when it's right you will feel it disengauge the rear center.

Don't force it... Let me go look fo a pdf instruction set or file, I'll post back...

There is a sequence of operation of this lever for removal and installing hard and soft tops, and it's used to hold down the soft top as well, don't break it.

I'll try and find an instruction file and post back, but I bet you can experiment with that lever and figue it out easily enough.

PS: here is a good link for 107 info

http://northernresource.com/mercedes/107.htm

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry to hear about your brother. The hardtop getting stuck is a common problem with the R107 chassis. When you turn the lever behind the drivers seat, it's supposed to release the catch that locks onto that center pin. It commonly gets stuck in the locked position.

Basically, there's a pin in the center of the hardtop with a notch cut out of it facing the passenger side. That notch clicks into a tooth on the catch mechanism, which is a little claw that swings in from the passenger side.

You have two options. Either use a thin screwdriver to gently push the catch out of the way (towards the passenger side) or gently rotate the top around the lock so that the center pin drops out of the tooth. In either case, it's a 3-man job: two to lift up on the top and one to deal with the latch mechanism.

Once you've got the top off, you need to take a look at the release mechanism. There's a bicycle cable type of thing that connects the lever to the catch. That loosens up over time, but it can be shortened. Then clean and lube the whole mechanism.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Found it, knew I saw it somewhere on these forums

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1507940-mercedes-benz-r107-hard-soft-top.html

Also in another post I saw where if the catch won't release because the cable is stretched or broken, they slowly and carefully rotated the entire hardtop until the catch let it go, there is a grove in one side of the top post that your twisting out of.

PS: Place your future questions over in the 107 forum, you'll get quicker and better responces there..

good luck with your new edition

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for all the great info. I just sold my Porsche Spyder in October and had planned to take a break from collector cars (maybe buy a sailboat?) but couldn't pass this up.The Spyder Club forum was equally as helpful. Car has some issues but I wanted to keep the car in the family. I'm sure I will have many more questions as I start to sort this car out. After sitting for some 8 years with limited miles it really needs, as the Brits would say, a good service. I noticed on the coupons that MB wants the brake fluid replaced like almost every year-and I'm sure this hasn't-you guys do it that often? Any suggestions on what not to miss in getting the car serviceable again?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts