Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E Auto
176 Posts
These engines don't have a distributor. It's coil on plug. If you are replacing the coils, that will cover the "wires" as well. With that kind of mileage though, don't be surprised if new plugs doesn't fix it for long. Those engines are known to burn lots of oil past the piston rings.
Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire
You posted in the wrong forum. :)

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E Auto
176 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks - . My dad taught me the I ironclad rule of repairing anything “When something works before you worked on it and will not work afterward, you caused the problem-go back over everything you touched.” In my shop we had Toyota that one of the mechanics tuned up and it would not start. Lots of hair pulling and then he noticed that the carbon button inside the distributor was not there. Another distributor cap and it ran great. I don’t know if this fits but recheck everything. Good luck,

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E Auto
176 Posts
Well..... it turns out that it seemingly had nothing to do with the changes I made. It ended up being the ignition coil!
There you go, spark breaking down under load. Sometimes we delve far deeper than we need to. :)

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
168 Posts
As I understood, it all started with the change of all this ignition stuff.
After reading this story I would agree that it might be a fuel-related issue, but maybe you can make another simple check.

Did you measured/checked the gap at the spark plugs before installation? Never go below 0.9mm and don't use resitor-type sparkplugs - the resistor is included in the spark plug connector! If you have 0.6mm or less or dropped a spark plug and the gap is zero, you will never get this engine back online.

Martin

41 - 48 of 48 Posts