Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SEL EuroSpec w/ an AMG steering wheel : ).
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This car has now been handed down to me by my grandfather. I am looking at getting some info on restoring it the best I can. I live in the Dallas, TX area, and so any pointers to anyone around this area that knows these cars would be a big help.

My main 2 issues with this car is that: 1- The car idles at around 800 RPM most the time, but randomly jumps up to around 2100 RPM just sitting in park (Mainly after being driven for 20 minutes). 2- I'm having, it seams a gas hesitation... when I press the gas pedal while taking off, the response stutters until I hit about 2500 RPM, and then responds smooth... A clogged fuel filter maybe?

Also, I'm looking at getting the leather re-upholstered, and the shocks looked at... this car, at the moment, is one of the bumpiest rides ever!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I RECENTLY FOUND OUT THAT THIS CAR IS A 1984 500SEL EURO WITH A 560SEL BADGE.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,807 Posts
World Upholstery can supply new OEM quality and style hides for your interior. They also have headliner and rear parcel shelf material and interior carpet material.

For shocks - go with Bilsteins - the best choice you can make. They have Comfort and HD and Sport shocks. Lifetime warranty.

For the engine issues - other MB members will chime in.

Al
Atlanta, GA

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,192 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

We're always interested in learning more about unique cars and your '87 AMG sounds very interesting. Any pictures will be greatly appreciated. :)

Your car seem to be suffering from some classical issues, mostly related to deferred maintenance and mechanics who have little experience with the W126.

High idle is a notorious problem and can have many causes. It could be something as simple and cheap to remedy as a cracked vacuum line, or something that will require expensive parts, such as injectors and the fuel distributor. I'd suggest you start by searching this forum on the subject and do the inexpensive things first.

The harsh ride sounds like worn-out front shocks and collapsed nitrogen spheres at the rear.

Replacing the front shocks is easy, though you might have some problems locating the Bilstein shocks with the correct damping rate if you have the AMG suspension. Contact forum member Jonathan Hodgman if you need the AMG shocks.

The rear suspension can be a bit more intimidating, but it is really quite straightforward. The SLS (Self-Leveling Suspension) is a hydraulic system where a pump at the engine feeds the system. The "shocks" do not provide any damping at all, they are simply hydraulic rams. The nitrogen spheres that perform the damping function are mounted on the rear subframe and look like old cannonballs. These spheres have a rubber membrane separating the hydraulic oil and the pressurized nitrogen. When this membrane ruptures, there's no more damping effect and the ride become rock hard (in most cases). Replace the two spheres (about $100/each), flush the oil and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your reply on this post. This will help alot, and I will do some more searching. I will post pics of the car later this week. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah! I also am having a hard time driving at night. The lighting to the instrument cluster panel, and the gear shift console is out. I can, however, see the turn signal lights, and the low-fuel light... actually I can see all my warning lights on the cluster. I checked all the fuses, and they are good... could it be a relay somewhere?

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Oh yeah! I also am having a hard time driving at night. The lighting to the instrument cluster panel, and the gear shift console is out. I can, however, see the turn signal lights, and the low-fuel light... actually I can see all my warning lights on the cluster. I checked all the fuses, and they are good... could it be a relay somewhere?
Worth a shot - try checking the rheostat for the lights, also known as the button to reset the trip odometer on the left side of the cluster (the rheostat on the right side of the cluster adjusts the clock). I never realized the one on the left doubled as the light adjustment, and once when resetting it, must have hit it enough to turn all the lights down.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,652 Posts
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a post somewhere in the DIY sticky at the very top of the W126 forum opener that has the main issues with high idles and here it is! http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2722387-post78.html

Just out of curiosity, when the idle jumps to around 2100 do any of the dashboard lights come on? Somewhere along the lines of ABS?

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,192 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts