Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 560 sl with 66K original. The car is 100% and clean. the only problem is the dash is metric, how much would it be to change over to standard. Also the dealer wants 9,900 with both tops and brand new tires. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, still working on the price. I'm not worried about the rubber although everything looks good so far. Its the gauges i'm worried about. And yes the car came from Canada.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just and FYI, i also posted the question on benzobsession/slkworld also. I figured the more people i ask the more info i have to help me decide if i get this thing or not. Any info you guys can give me is appreciated.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,318 Posts
This is a tough one. I have no idea what the cost would be to totally convert it to register miles instead of kilometers and to reset it to miles.
If you just want a reading in MPH and KPH I " think " that replacing the face plate would work as the US model has the markings for both.

Other things to consider in the purchase are the maintenance items. The timing chain system needs service. Guides deteriorate due to age and heat cycles.

There I go thinking again.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a tough one. I have no idea what the cost would be to totally convert it to register miles instead of kilometers and to reset it to miles.
If you just want a reading in MPH and KPH I " think " that replacing the face plate would work as the US model has the markings for both.

Other things to consider in the purchase are the maintenance items. The timing chain system needs service. Guides deteriorate due to age and heat cycles.

There I go thinking again.
If its that simple i can live with that. What about the tranny gear for the speedo would that have to be changed or is it just the face plate alone?

·
Registered
431 Posts
the smaller hash marks are the recommended transmission shift points. i think the larger hatched area highest speed when held in 1st gear (i.e. down hills)?

and why bother changing the speedo? if it works, no need in messing with it.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the smaller hash marks are the recommended transmission shift points. i think the larger hatched area highest speed when held in 1st gear (i.e. down hills)?

and why bother changing the speedo? if it works, no need in messing with it.
I agree why mess with something that works, i just don't want to be bothered with figuring out my speed.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,353 Posts
I believe you will find that a USA 560 cluster has the temperature gauge in metric too. So, your only concern is the speedometer.
I guess a USA speedo would swap right in and work okay.
Meanwhile a mental conversion from kph to mph is simple enough.
Multiply by 0.6, so:
50 kph = 30 mph
100 kph = 60 mph
120 kph = 75 mph
3 of my cars have USA speedos here in Canada where we use metric. The mental conversion is second nature after a while.
I sure wouldn't let a minor issue like this put me off an otherwise good car.

·
Registered
1992 230CE
188 Posts
Just curious...what do the yellow hash marks between the 50-60 kph mean?
IIRC they were some kind of warning that helps you to stay at 50 or 60 km/h. But I shall ask my father, he probably knows what it is for.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Just curious...what do the yellow hash marks between the 50-60 kph mean?
Having lived in Germany 15 years, I'm pretty sure the hash marks are a quick reminder that you're exceeding what I recall is Germany's speed limit within towns--50 km/hr.

Can any of our German or European friends confirm?

Good road,

·
Registered
1992 230CE
188 Posts
Having lived in Germany 15 years, I'm pretty sure the hash marks are a quick reminder that you're exceeding what I recall is Germany's speed limit within towns--50 km/hr.

Can any of our German or European friends confirm?

Good road,
I believe that is correct. I shall ask my father, he knows this stuff.

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
To convert it, first you send the speedometer and temperature gauges to me, who promptly turns around and says "Thanks!"

FWIW my 560 has the temperature gauge in degrees F. Drives me nuts sometimes because I use C for everything else... but this car.

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Speed limits in Europe

"Can any of our German or European friends confirm?"

Yes, this is true at least with all my european made cars. All of them has had speedo attention signs for the town area speeds.

Today the town speed limits are even lower - here in Suolahti area we have now 40km/h speed limit.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,318 Posts
If its that simple i can live with that. What about the tranny gear for the speedo would that have to be changed or is it just the face plate alone?
Comparing your picture with a dual reading face plate it appears the KM markings are in the same place. Once the speedo is out changing face plate is pretty simple. Here I go thinking again but I think the way the miles/kilometers register is controlled by the odometer gears. There is a thread on replacing them in the EGv107. It would be a good idea to change them anyway as they will fail eventually and new gears are only $70.00.
1984 U.S. 380SL Speedo:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
Wasn't there a guy on PeachParts board that was selling stickers to go on the speedometer a few months ago? You might just want to replace the gears, keep the metric scale, and have a "cheater" scale on the speedo faceplate. That could be your lowest cost and easiest option, but I'm known for looking at the cheapest fix first.

Scott

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wasn't there a guy on PeachParts board that was selling stickers to go on the speedometer a few months ago? You might just want to replace the gears, keep the metric scale, and have a "cheater" scale on the speedo faceplate. That could be your lowest cost and easiest option, but I'm known for looking at the cheapest fix first.

Scott
Nothing wrong with cheap, that would be my first choice. I'll look for the thread and see what i can find. Thanks everybody.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts