Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a very nice '86 560SL (only 49K miles, excellent condition) However, I have just had a lengthy and totally depressing experience with a 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (4100 engine) which also was an extremely nice car, and I don't want to repeat it. I love convertible motorcars, and want one I can drive with relatively few unpleasant experiences. Since I stupidly did not research the Cadillac, I am going to the people who drive 560's the most, and hope for their honest assistance in helping me make a decision. Thank you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 560 SL - well of course GOOD!I think u really cant compare with a cadillac.The only point to worry about the 560 modell was that it was just produced for the us-market.And because of the hard emission limits, the engine power is very restricted to 231 DIN HP : 0- 55 Mph 6.4 sec...<br>Buy one and ull be happy with its quality im sure, for further question dont hesitate to contact me!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a '85 SL500 (Euro) and can tell you they are great, but as with any Mercedes, parts and service are expensive. The motors will run to 350,000 miles with only timing chains every 100-120,000 miles and a valve job around 175K. Problems are in the climate controls, radios and cruise controls. Some electrical and minor drive train and vacume system problems can be present as well. I think the Benz is a lot better built than the others. They don't squeek or rattle like other convertables. If you can get a good one in which everything works, it shouldn't be too bad to maintain. The 560SL is a super solid, fairly fast, very comfortable open top car. No others ride so well. But be prepared to spend 2 to 4X the cost of repair versus an american car. Earlier Caddies were not known for long life, but you will find 560's with 175,000 miles for sale for real money. My $0.02.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts