Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am excited to share my recent purchase of a 1986 500SEC. It is 199 blue black metallic aka Blauschwartz over 275 cream beige.

Found on Craigslist initially, I was anxious to track the car down as soon as possible and began searching Google for more ways to contact the seller. A Google street view photo turned up the car on an independent mechanics lot and I called the shop to schedule a time to come see it.

The seller was great to deal with and so I loaded it up on a trailer and took it home.

Still going through it and cleaning it up but very pleased with my purchase.

Attachments

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
8,422 Posts
Nice find! I still hope to get my hands on one someday, but it's looking less and less likely as life progresses.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,827 Posts
Nice find! I still hope to get my hands on one someday, but it's looking less and less likely as life progresses.

I’m looking to sell my 1982 500sec and Magicbigdaddy has a euro coupe for sale too. Mine is rusty. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Congrats! gen2 euro nonetheless. Pumped to see what you do with it.

I’m looking to sell my 1982 500sec and Magicbigdaddy has a euro coupe for sale too. Mine is rusty. :(

Maybe not the most ideal thread to peddle your parts car...?

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
That is a rare find over your way and ticks all the boxes
Being a gen2 Euro check and see if it has Tri-Ys or Euro logs twin dumpers and let me know the FD part # on the plate. It will have 560 heads, but not sure on comp ratio until some investigating. Well done!!!!

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a rare find over your way and ticks all the boxes
Being a gen2 Euro check and see if it has Tri-Ys or Euro logs twin dumpers and let me know the FD part # on the plate. It will have 560 heads, but not sure on comp ratio until some investigating. Well done!!!!

Fuel distributor part number 0438101018

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Great score Mike!

Congrats!

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
High comp run 0438101016 FD (same as M119 SL500 KE-Jet)
Check engine # stamping at rear of block behind left head looking down and see what reads after the engine #

Yeah it’s pretty dirty back there. I checked while I was looking at the fuel distributor. I will get back to you on that after I clean it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The 500 is a lovely motor.
Agreed Ian, I bought a beautiful 199 black 1985 500sel back in early 1994. That was my first Mercedes the best car I ever owned. That engine was very strong and reliable never had a problem in the eight years I owned it. I only sold it because I found a black 1991 560sec in Alabama.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couldn’t quite read the stamp on the engine block but I’m sure Bondavi is right. Can’t believe how much info I have forgotten since being out of the MB world for so long.

Received some proper W7dc0 plugs today to replace the tired W9dc ones currently installed.

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought I'd update what I've been up to.

While the engine is smooth and idled well, I could see one of the engine mounts was destroyed.

I've changed engine mounts, transmission mount, and valve cover gaskets so far. In my opinion under the valve cover looks really good for 129k miles. No varnish or sludge.

Took a set of BBS RA 238 16x8 et 11 to be refinished and mounted a set of BF Goodrich G-force 225/50zr16 tires.

The car is prepped for paint soon and hope to hit the road with friends to Radwood Boston in October.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts