Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realize there was a spec. forum, so I apologize for cross posting from the general forum...

My mom has a 420 SEL that's in great cosmetic shape considering the age, the only blemishes are a couple door dings and a crack in the dash (probably from sun). I am a TOTAL newb when it comes to these cars, but I'd love to buy it and maybe make it a DD if it can be done.

The cars ODO shows 160k but documentation from when she bought it 10 years ago shows a rebuild at ~ 120k miles. The car has not run for at least 3 years and I can't get it to fire up. The reason she stopped driving it was the seats were not confortable for her back anymore and the radio stopped working, or when it did, it would just make really loud screaming type noises out of the speakers.

What should I expect to spend to get it on the road? or, conversely, what might this car be worth as-is?

Thanks much for any help,
Matt

PS if there are other forums that might help me, I'd much appreciate some links.

·
Registered
2004 ML270
531 Posts
Pull a plug and ground it out and crank the car to see if you are getting any spark.

Next check fuel, crack one of the injector lines to see if there is any gas there.

If the car hasn't been run for 3 years I would recommend draining the fuel and putting in some new stuff.

Matt.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Hmm, I agree. Remove the shalack from the fuel tank. Blow the fuel lines. Dump the sludge from the oil pan. Hmm, Man. Your mom should be chastized for not just fixing the problem or selling it years ago. If the oil change, fuel filters changed, fuel lines blowen out, old fuel removed from the fuel tank, and new plugs don't work. It may be cheap, or expensive. not to sure.. I'd ask a trusted mechanic... If it gets out of hand for you...

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
Don't forget the brakes. More than likely one or more of the calipers may have seized.

If you plan on keeping the car you better have a decent set of tools or a few extra $$$ in your pocket. The parts on these cars are not all that expensive but some of the repair/troubleshooting bills can be. With our help and a little bit of your mechanical knowledge and time, this can be a great car for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts