Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986 mercedes benz amg 420
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shop computer says its the fuel filter or fuel pump is this worth replacing paid 900$ for the car 131,000 miles in great shape aside from this problem many extras to and well maintained is this repair expensive and can the fuel pumps be replaced easily ?

·
Mercedes
9,039 Posts
Anything you want to do to your car will be "expensive" if you want to compare to the price of $900 you paid for the car. I paid nearly that for just rims for my car. fuel pump and filter replacement will be about $150-200 in parts I think.So yea, about 20% of what you paid for the whole car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have done some research and i can get my money back if need be for parts and things i just dont want to start replacing parts in a snowball of disappointment i have read a few threads that have a similar problem and no one has been able to pin it down theyve gone thru relays pumps filters regulators:confused: and so forth but the shop did give me an invoice for the repair so i guess i can trust the diagnosis:cool:

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
186 Posts
Check the relay that is under the hood that has a 15 AMp fuse in it. See if that fuse is blown. If it isn't then pull the fuel pump relay and just 7&8 and then try to start the car. If it starts then it is the relay. About 135 bucks for a new relay. If you paid 900 for the car I know where I live if it was running you could sell it for around 3500.

·
Mercedes
9,039 Posts
Another thing... your car has a US spec AMG bodykit. That by itself is worth IMO more than the $900 you paid for the car. It also has 3 piece AMG wheels, which also are sought after and go for over what you paid for the entire car. So I would consider even putting money in to your car to maintain it properly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumbsup: thanks guys i will try to see if it the relay otherwise now im confident with my purchase i heard alot of mixed reviews on the 126 mostly excellent but i loved the look and had been in pursuit of a 300e 87 i found this car by accident and they just needed it gone seeing the condition and the upgrades i figured i would def be able to break even but i wanna keep the car and not being able to drive it made me question the expenses in the long term as far as simple labor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts