Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,448 Posts
Hi. Need more info. Model? Year? Engine? Color of fluid?

In my car, if it’s on that side of the engine and at the front: radiator, thermostat, power steering reservoir, oil fill bolt, front upper timing chain cover, front head gasket, front oil pan, water pump. That’s all from the wheel forward.

Behind the wheel: Transmission pan, torque converter, leak from head gasket or upper timing chain cover that flows backward, oil pan gasket, air conditioner condensation drainage (which is normal).

I suggest looking from under the car and finding where it is dripping to the ground. And following it up until you find dry.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,448 Posts
Coolant will smell sweet. Oil should be black. ATF should be red. Power steering fluid should be red. AC condensation will be water.

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
421 Posts
Going by the " if it was my 81 SD showing a leak in that area" I would look at the engine oil cooler and lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi. Need more info. Model? Year? Engine? Color of fluid?

In my car, if it’s on that side of the engine and at the front: radiator, thermostat, power steering reservoir, oil fill bolt, front upper timing chain cover, front head gasket, front oil pan, water pump. That’s all from the wheel forward.

Behind the wheel: Transmission pan, torque converter, leak from head gasket or upper timing chain cover that flows backward, oil pan gasket, air conditioner condensation drainage (which is normal).

I suggest looking from under the car and finding where it is dripping to the ground. And following it up until you find dry.
OK, thanks. Is a 1986 420 SEL V-8.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,448 Posts
Very front and left side, dark like oil.

Starting at the bottom going up: oil drain plug, oil pan gasket, upper timing chain cover/gasket, head gasket.

That’s a goodly amount of fluid. I’d look at the oil drain plug first. I’ve also had that much oil leak from the upper timing chain cover once.

It’s also possible you’ve had the leak a while and it collected on the skid plate and all spilled at once.

That much fluid, you should be able to find a trail. Get yourself a flashlight and look for wet. But with my timing chain cover, we had to have the engine running to find it. By when we did, it GUSHED!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts