Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1986 mercedes benz amg 420
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just recently purchased a 1986 420 sel with some amg and other custom work paint in excel condition with minor work needed interior still clean normal wear love this car paid 900 for it and the only known problem is it will start sort of and then die the previous owner bought the car and had a shop come to a conclusion of faulty fuel filter or pump i have the printed invoice with that info the new owner passed shortly after that and i purchased the car through the estate sale i was wondering how much will a repair along these lines cost and if it is worth it i know there is 2 pumps on this model is this the type of work a home mechanic can do ??!!!

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
That's a lot of car for $900. Did you leave out a zero? If the only problem is a fuel pump, it's a fairly straightforward repair. A fuel filter is simpler. Whether it's a do-it-yourself job or not depends whether you are handy and are willing to find out exactly what the job will involve. If you are thinking you'll just go at it with a pair of channel locks and a screwdriver and figure it out as you work, you'll do more damage than good. I'm not assuming you'll do that, but if this is your first Mercedes, you'll find it is not a simple machine and it requires more than intuition to understand. I have no idea what the parts will be, but they won't be inexpensive and you won't find them at Auto Zone, most likely. If you have a $900 420, I'd advise you to find a good independent shop that knows the model and pay them whatever the tab is to get it in shape. You'll still have a deal. Nice ride.

·
Registered
1986 mercedes benz amg 420
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a lot of car for $900. Did you leave out a zero? If the only problem is a fuel pump, it's a fairly straightforward repair. A fuel filter is simpler. Whether it's a do-it-yourself job or not depends whether you are handy and are willing to find out exactly what the job will involve. If you are thinking you'll just go at it with a pair of channel locks and a screwdriver and figure it out as you work, you'll do more damage than good. I'm not assuming you'll do that, but if this is your first Mercedes, you'll find it is not a simple machine and it requires more than intuition to understand. I have no idea what the parts will be, but they won't be inexpensive and you won't find them at Auto Zone, most likely. If you have a $900 420, I'd advise you to find a good independent shop that knows the model and pay them whatever the tab is to get it in shape. You'll still have a deal. Nice ride.
thanks alot boss i have had a few older cars 85 bmw 318 85 jag xj6 did some repairs and swaps but havent owned a mercedes and being 20 and this being my dream car im a kid in a candy store but i do want the professionals to handle anything that comes my way because i kno with the proper up keep the 126 can be a dream and with improper care it can be a nightmare

1 - 3 of 3 Posts