Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving all the instruments stoped working. Check and cleaned all fuses. Number 5 several times replaced fuse. I am coping and pasting and old post because it explains the problem perfectly.

I'm having a problem with instrument gauges. Fuel, engine temperature, oil pressure, rpm indicator just stopped working. Odometer, digital temp indicator, clock, and all lights are still functional.

When I turn the car on I hear a buzz from behind the cluster, left side , where is the exterior light switch or the air vent.

When I use the turn signal indicator (right or left) the buzzing sound stops.

I removed the instrument cluster and replaced the rheostat ( thinking that may be the issue) but I continued to have the same problem.

I would think this is a relay issue now!! Any idea or suggestion??

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,555 Posts
First you need to pull the cluster out and check the multi plug on the rear of the cluster Then check the wiring loom there was known problems on some cars with the wire insulation cracking up .But in the engine depot .

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,146 Posts
You need to do an advanced search in the top right of the home page. I remember reading about a fuse somewhere behind the cluster.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,205 Posts
Make sure to check the grounding points behind the cluster as well.
In case you missed it, one of the stickies on top have the link for a free for US residents W126 workshop service manual, hosted by Mercedes Benz USA = MBUSA (requires adobe flash).

·
1991 500SEC 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,425 Posts
I was driving all the instruments stoped working. Check and cleaned all fuses. Number 5 several times replaced fuse. I am coping and pasting and old post because it explains the problem perfectly.

I'm having a problem with instrument gauges. Fuel, engine temperature, oil pressure, rpm indicator just stopped working. Odometer, digital temp indicator, clock, and all lights are still functional.

When I turn the car on I hear a buzz from behind the cluster, left side , where is the exterior light switch or the air vent.

When I use the turn signal indicator (right or left) the buzzing sound stops.

I removed the instrument cluster and replaced the rheostat ( thinking that may be the issue) but I continued to have the same problem.

I would think this is a relay issue now!! Any idea or suggestion??

Thanks for your help.
Hey Amazonas,

In addition to the prior contributions, here is the instruments wiring diagram for your car from the MBCDs.

A cursory glance shows they all have differing sensors/groundings, I might look for a commonality as to power, upstream of the items, as it were.

Good luck,

MBL

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 6.49.47 AM.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts