Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry for the lengthy post)

Hi Everyone,

I really need some help with my '86 300E:(. I'm not much of a car expert, but I try to do what I can. I bought my car in January of this year and since recently, I noticed some weird things happening. The car was parked outside for about 6 months before I bought it and has about 3XX,XXX KMs on it (odometer stopped working). The previous owner had recently gotten a new radiator, distributor cap and rotor, and a few other minor parts installed. I got the car for very cheap ($900) and it was in ok condition for the price. Since I bought the car I got new front rotors and pads, new fan belt and tensioner, and replaced the valve cover seal/gasket on the engine, as it was leaking. I still have a some other fixes to do however before the car is near 100%.

The problems I am having are below:

1. When braking at low speeds (less than 10km/s) the brakes stop holding and I hear a very loud sound (like metal hitting) coming from the brakes. The brakes work fine once driving and only act up when coming to a stop.:confused:
2. The ABS light comes on and stays on most times when driving. Once the ABS light comes on, the brakes are fine(as I am braking without the ABS).:confused:
3. When moving off from a stop, the car stutters for about 1-2 secs, before moving off. This happens mostly when the ABS light is on. At times, especially when the vehicle is cold, this does not happen and the car runs fine.:confused:
4. When I start the car, I hear a "buzzing" sound coming from the car ( I think coming the brakes).:confused:
5. The car doesn't seem to be idling properly. If i turn my headlights on, there is a noticable change in idle.:confused:

I've been reading some OVP relay threads here for quite a while, so I'm wondering if the OVP relay could be the cause of all these problems. I replaced the 10A fuse in mine and I used sandpaper to clean up the contacts but that didn't help.:crybaby2: Let me know what you think. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing what you think. (Sorry again for the lengthy post)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good news...All ABS problems have been solved (for now @ least). I cleaned both front ABS sensors with Electrical Spray and brought them to almost a full shine. I also sprayed electrical cleaner inside, where the ABS is seated, (while spinning the rotors) in order to clean the contacts there. The ABS light hasn't come on since and the brakes work fine apart from a slight pull when braking that I figure alignment will fix, as one wheel moves way freer than the other while off the ground.

·
Registered
1986 300E
20 Posts
Good news...All ABS problems have been solved (for now @ least). I cleaned both front ABS sensors with Electrical Spray and brought them to almost a full shine. I also sprayed electrical cleaner inside, where the ABS is seated, (while spinning the rotors) in order to clean the contacts there. The ABS light hasn't come on since and the brakes work fine apart from a slight pull when braking that I figure alignment will fix, as one wheel moves way freer than the other while off the ground.
I had the issue as a bad tie rod end

1 - 3 of 3 Posts