Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Hi all I found this 1986 ,190e 2door convertible in a yard sale garage. owner states only 9000 miles he states only one in the states. I been trying to find information on it but can’t .Seems in 86 the 190 came 4 door so to clone something like this would have been extensively a lot of money

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,704 Posts
New to me never ever seen a convertable in 190E in the uk .So if it is genuine ,,and i think not could be a special build ,, get hold of it it its as rare as hens teeth . And very nice i must say.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This isn't anything that ever went into production at MB. It was under consideration and a prototype was built that resides in the "Holy Halls". (It's in the "Holy Halls" book, that's how O know about it.) This particular car is likely an aftermarket non MB conversion that would've been every expensive to carry out.

·
Registered
1999 E320 4matic wagon 180k, 1998 SL500 80k, 2006 ML500 , 2009 ML350
56 Posts
Did you buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would suggest you contact the MB Classic Center to see if they're aware of this. It looks to me like an aftermarket conversion that retained the badging from the original W201 donor car. This doesn't look to me like anything MB would come up with and it doesn't look like the convertible prototype pictured in the "Holy Halls" book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would suggest you contact the MB Classic Center to see if they're aware of this. It looks to me like an aftermarket conversion that retained the badging from the original W201 donor car. This doesn't look to me like anything MB would come up with and it doesn't look like the convertible prototype pictured in the "Holy Halls" book.
Ok thanks

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,935 Posts
I wonder how they secure the frame for such a conversion. Manufacturers generally need to add 500 pounds of I beams the make the body more sturdy.
That conversion must not be an easy task

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 500sel,1992 190E 2.6,1993 190E 2.3.
3 Posts
Google:mercedes 190e convertible and several will pop up.It was not a factory done conversion.My guess...parts were used from the 300ce convertible.

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 500sel,1992 190E 2.6,1993 190E 2.3.
3 Posts
A124 was not available until 1993.
Well...it's my guess knowing how complicated of a job this is.I've worked for a Mercedes bodyshop when I lived overseas.
In 1991 a friend of mine in Europe bought a 124 convertible so they must have come out then.I know it was 91 because I immigrated in that year to the US.
This white 190 conv. could have been build after parts were available since no one seem to know what year or where his was converted.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,877 Posts
Fantastic car, well done on getting it - might be the only one left! The conversion looks really good, and she does look very handsome - if you could post some more pics please it would be great . (y)

·
Registered
1991 420sel, 1990 190e 2.6
44 Posts
That tag you show is merely the import tag. It does not mean it was blessed by Mercedes. Mercedes hated tuners at the time and was strongly against them all. Even AMG, they even sued AMG to remove their badges off their cars.
It only states the name of the manufacturer of the vehicle. Which is Mercedes Benz. The name on top it seems might be the name of the company that imported it at time. During the 80s there where all sorts of companies making convertible versions out of all manners of cars.

Did a quick google search and found a car that looked almost exactly like it, but with a different interior. The company that did many 190E Cabriolets was Schulz Tuning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That tag you show is merely the import tag. It does not mean it was blessed by Mercedes. Mercedes hated tuners at the time and was strongly against them all. Even AMG, they even sued AMG to remove their badges off their cars.
It only states the name of the manufacturer of the vehicle. Which is Mercedes Benz. The name on top it seems might be the name of the company that imported it at time. During the 80s there where all sorts of companies making convertible versions out of all manners of cars.

Did a quick google search and found a car that looked almost exactly like it, but with a different interior. The company that did many 190E Cabriolets was Schulz Tuning.
Thanks fo rThe information

1 - 20 of 21 Posts