Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a nice 380 SE . When warm . It begins to cut out . Feels like it's running on 7 cylinders . I replaced the 02 Sensor and nothing . I read somewhere it may be a problem in the distributor . I don't feel any valves clicking . Though as it heats to 80c it may be falling out of time . Had a old International truck with a similar scenario .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
380 SE 1985 Runs rough . Turn car off . Start runs good about 5 minutes

Changed the coil and no luck . I'm just taking random guesses as I know little about these . Neutral safety switch is not working . So after 5m now of driving . I coast in Neutral & and restart as coasting and the car runs okay for about 5 more minutes . Maybe the problem is occurring when the cold start valve turns off ? I doubt it would be a valve . The valve wouldn't cool down fast enough . When bad it feels like it's on 6-7 cylinders or worse . Got stuck on a hill :eek:eek:eek
. What ever it is . It seems to be increasingly getting worse . Sensor ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 300 SEL did similar things, ran good until warm
It ended up being a vacuum leak in the emission system for the fuel tank vent after switchover valve opened.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks . Where abouts is this component located . Engine bay ? I was just going to test vacuum today . Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 300 SEL did similar things, ran good until warm
It ended up being a vacuum leak in the emission system for the fuel tank vent after switchover valve opened.
Did it show on the vacuum gauge there was a leak? Mine has the same problem and sometimes I hear a gurgling in the fuel tank after I've started it.

·
SuperModerator
13,208 Posts
Just for kicks, change the vent valve for the tank. It could be plugged. It's very cheap from MB and super easy to change, under the car in the area of the rear axle.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure can't hurt Thank You . Going to a Pro today who has some diagnostic tricks that may help .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes that was a indication . The gauge was not tweaked left at idle . Though , when I turn the heater fan/fan on , the needle goes far left .
I know the ignition switch needs to be replaced . I had a '68 220 Gas that had multiple problems . New ignition switch fixed everything related .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used a engine analyzer yesterday and the plugs wires are about voltage correct . Going to try new plugs . And take a look at the fuel valve you mentioned .

·
SuperModerator
13,208 Posts
You can search on here for details. You can actually just unplug it to see if it makes the difference. Making sure you unplug the right side of course so the tank can vent off it was blocked.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks . Uh we "Fixed" it . I still want to go back there . As well as ordering all new Vacuum lines . Thanks !

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fixed The Old Geezer .

Took the 126 to a Auto Electric buddy . We power braked the car at full throttle a couple times . I played with the timing a bit . And now it runs excellent . I'm still going to replace the plugs and the fuel filter at the tank . The car put out a very odd smelling odor at power braking, and it was not the disc pads . Thanks for everyone & their kind help . :smile:smile:smile:smile

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
6 Participants
Buzz-Shop
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing