Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1985 Turbo diesel rear muffler help

Hello,

The rear muffler on my 1985 300d Turbodiesel has rusted out, and I am looking for a replacement, but I am having difficulty. There seems to be some confusion as to if the parts are the same on the 300d and the Turbo versions.
Here is one that I found:
Ansa ME5947 Muffler | Auto Parts Warehouse

I need to confirm that It is really compatable on the 300d TURBO before I buy it. Is the same muffler used on both models?

Thanks

Update: Maybe I am just crazy but did mercedes even make a non turbo version in 1985 for the US market? If not that would explain why I cannot find a website to cross reference part numbers.

· Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,164 Posts
Hello,

The rear muffler on my 1985 300d Turbodiesel has rusted out, and I am looking for a replacement, but I am having difficulty. There seems to be some confusion as to if the parts are the same on the 300d and the Turbo versions.
Here is one that I found:
Ansa ME5947 Muffler | Auto Parts Warehouse

I need to confirm that It is really compatable on the 300d TURBO before I buy it. Is the same muffler used on both models?

Thanks

Update: Maybe I am just crazy but did mercedes even make a non turbo version in 1985 for the US market? If not that would explain why I cannot find a website to cross reference part numbers.
Most of the US-based online stores will sell you an '85 turbo muffler. If you want to compare notes you'll have to find a non-US based online store, and maybe learn a different language.

Why do you want to put in a non-turbo muffler on a turbo 300D?

· Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I was able to get all the needed parts and I had a new exhaust from the resonator back replaced cheaply at a local shop for just the labor to put it on. However, I am concerned that I may have forgotten a part. The rear muffler is attached with the rubber donuts, but some of the parts sites referenced a clamp to secure the muffler to the car--like this

Is this needed or does the muffler hang only by the donuts in the rear and the clamp between the downpipe and the resonator in front??

Attachments

· Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,409 Posts
the local muffler shop probably used their own clamps to do the job.

As long as the attachment for the donuts were intact, you just need to make sure you have all four of those.

· Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
572 Posts
Dear Bullet,
Too bad the rubber donuts do a great job isolating and damping noise. Maybe the muffler you have does not have the hooks for the donuts. Think about returning it. A new MB OE muffler is $180 – part number 123-490-84-15.

I bought all the hardware, pipes and muffler from MB in 2008, figuring someday I would need the parts. That new muffler must weight ~40lbs.
Zill.

· Registered
1985 300D Turbo-diesel
261 Posts
the local muffler shop probably used their own clamps to do the job.

As long as the attachment for the donuts were intact, you just need to make sure you have all four of those.
be sure to periodically check them, I have yet to find a good set, so I am running 2 stock(from 1985) and 2 aftermarket- I have replaced the aftermarket periodically from any 3-6 months-If the exhaust hadn't rusted off I would still have the other 2 originals

· Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dear Bullet,
Too bad the rubber donuts do a great job isolating and damping noise. Maybe the muffler you have does not have the hooks for the donuts. Think about returning it. A new MB OE muffler is $180 – part number 123-490-84-15.

I bought all the hardware, pipes and muffler from MB in 2008, figuring someday I would need the parts. That new muffler must weight ~40lbs.
Zill.
Sorry Zill perhaps I wasnt clear--I bought an ansa muffler that has the hooks and uses the four donuts--I need to know if in addition to these there is another u bolt clamp that goes from the resonator pipe to somewhere on the undercarriage

Matt--I bought the clamp for between the muffler and the resonator, and I was told to not worry about any other clamps as they would as you suggested be supplied by the shop-but I do not see any other clamps so I wanted to make sure there arent any missing I do not want the original downpipe to be destroyed by excessive vibration

· Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I was able to get all the needed parts and I had a new exhaust from the resonator back replaced cheaply at a local shop for just the labor to put it on. However, I am concerned that I may have forgotten a part. The rear muffler is attached with the rubber donuts, but some of the parts sites referenced a clamp to secure the muffler to the car--like this

Is this needed or does the muffler hang only by the donuts in the rear and the clamp between the downpipe and the resonator in front??
That clamp goes up front around the transmission area right after the down pipe bend.

· Registered
'06 CLS500 '01 CLK320, '84 300D
521 Posts
When mine rusted/fell off, I noticed no difference in sound at all. I left it that way for several months and then decided just to put a straight pipe in :D

· Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This job has since been done but I am having an issue regarding rattling I know I need the muffler bumpers replaced but does someone have a photo of exactly where they are placed into the underbody? The schematic does not show placement

Thanks

· Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,409 Posts
This job has since been done but I am having an issue regarding rattling I know I need the muffler bumpers replaced but does someone have a photo of exactly where they are placed into the underbody? The schematic does not show placement

Thanks
if you are getting some rattling, make sure the tailpipe isn't hitting the bumper. This can happen if the pipe in front of the muffler is too long.

· Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,170 Posts

Thanks
You should be able to see a couple of hooks on the frame near where the rear muffler used to be.

· Registered
1985 300D Turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies.
To be clear, I know where the donuts that hold the muffler up go, I would like to see a photo of the placement of the solid rubber muffler buffers that stop the muffler from rattling against the underbody

Thanks

· Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,170 Posts
As you can see, I seem to need at least one.

The forward most buffer is not pictured, not exactly sure where it's located, but the rear most is bolted to the top of the muffler bracket.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.