Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks for the info Euro W123.

It sure would be nice if stats on how many cars were painted in each color, and more so just how many (few) 1985 300CDs were painted in the Nautical Blue. Given the low overall total 300CDs imported into the US in 1985, I would assume the number would be relatively low.

What more info is included on a full build sheet? And yes, I'd love one.
Hi MSGGrunt attached is your data card. Some of the information on it is the same as what I explained was on the card under the back seat. For the option codes use this page to look up the meanings of your option codes since the descriptions in the data card aren't always the same as what the code meant at the time the car was built http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~mtor/mbcodedsc.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Thanks Euro W123. That is a lot of very detailed information. Now all I have to do is translate into English.

Translated for those who are curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Swapped out the very faded power window switches with new ones. Now if I could only find a power sunroof switch. It seems these are NLA through Mercedes?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Why do all the forums feel a need to change format. Now I need to learn how to upload pictures again. I prefer the old format.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What function does that square button, located between the switches on the left side of the console, have? Is it a "Turbo Mode" for the power windows?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
When pushed it locks out the rear windows so the rear passengers, probably designed with children in mind, can't operate the rear windows.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Swapped out the very faded power window switches with new ones. Now if I could only find a power sunroof switch. It seems these are NLA through Mercedes?
I kept an eye out on ebay and eventually found a used sunroof switch that looked like new. I think they are NLA from Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I did just that. Found a nice one on eBay for $25.00. Now I just need to install it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I also found a nice parcel shelf first-aid box with an original first aid kit still with it. All of the contents are as they were originally, though clearly just for aesthetics. I believe the period correct version of the first-aid kit in 1985 would have been the white "soft" version vs the "hard" box version, but I couldn't pass this one up for the price. It just needs a new cross sticker and I will see if I can find a modeling paint that closely matches the color of the lettering on the box to touch up the areas where the paint has come of the raised letters.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
This will nearly complete the restoration of the rear parcel shelf. The next project will be to reupholster the rear seats, but new carpet will be first.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Please document your backseat reupholster work and parcel shelf. I bought a pristine 83 cd from hatch and son in MA w 75k miles on it fully sorted except the top of backseat is faded. Not a high priority but I’d like to remedy this.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Lengthy...

I will gladly document all of my projects on the car. Regarding the rear seat... I just ordered a new set of carpets and will be waiting to install them probably before the rear seats get recovered. The seats are easily removed. The bottom has the two tabs that need to be depressed and it lifts right out. Then there are two, 10mm I believe, bolts that hold the backrest in place. Once these two bolts are removed the back of the seat can be lifted up and away from the body of the car. The parcel shelf just lifts out. I also had speakers in my shelf that had to be unplugged. Unlike seats I have reupholstered in BMWs and Volvos, the Mercedes covers don't use hog rings to attach the covers to the frames rather they have channels in the seat frame that the covers slip into. If this makes sense.

A few notes:

- The carpet I chose for my 1985 was the older style loop carpet and not the year correct velour style. I looked at cars with both styles and I was more drawn towards the older loop style. I know for the purist this may be frowned upon, but it's the look I preferred. I ordered the carpets off EBay and asked the seller to omit the driver's quilted foot pad. I will remove the pad from the original floor mat and have an upholstery shop sew it on the new carpet. I am also a firm supported of Coco mats. They are well worth the cost.

- When I order the seat upholstery I will be going with Vinyl, what all the venders call MB Tex, which the raw original MB Tex material is no longer made. I decided on vinyl for its added durability, especially on the back seat upright that gets exposed to a lot of sun through the back window, and ease of maintenance. I have had MBs with both and prefer the ease of vinyl in a car that is more than just a show queen. My coupe has leather now as originally optioned from the factory and I know vinyl will deviate from originality, but the car is to be driven and enjoyed and I decided going with vinyl over leather would not really bother me. The "kits" can be bought with just the seat covers or more complete kits that include door panel covers and extra material to cover the rear B/C pillars/side panels. My door panels and side leather are in good shape, though I am concerned that when I replace my seat covers they will not match the rest of the interior. The more complete kits are more expensive and I would need to have an upholstery shop recover the door panels and rear side panels. The one thing I do not care for with the more complete kits is the use of zippers for the headrest and armrest covers. I want to avoid the seats, door panels, rear side panels, etc all being slightly different shades.

- The rear parcel shelf I am still undecided on. These can be had new and I may go that route or I may add a custom touch and have it covered in the same vinyl material that the seats will be covered with. I cleaned and SEM Color Coated my original one, as seen in the pictures above, and I will have to wait and see how it matches the new carpets. My fear is that the Camel color may be too dark of a color. SEM also makes a Palomino that may be closer to the original color. I would not recommend recovering in leather as leather will shrink much more than vinyl, especially if exposed to a lot of sun.

EBay Carpet Vender:

EBay "complete" upholstery kit.

German Auto Tops front kit

German Auto Tops rear kit

·
Registered
121 Posts
How do the aftermarket MB-Tex seat covers compare with the real deal?
I might have to worry about this soon, and the options seem limited.

Actually, is there any way to just re-dye faded MB-Tex instead?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I haven't ordered them yet, in a week or two.

MB-Tex, a very high quality vinyl, cant be dyed, but if it is just the rear seats that are faded then maybe they can be coated. Coated meaning nothing more than using a very special flexible paint. I have had good results with SEM products. They are not inexpensive, but are top quality.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts