Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380sl
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, first let me thank all of you for your help on this site. I wish to remove my valve covers and my question is about removing the left side (driver side) is there any harm and or trick about undoing the 2 gase lines and the, from what I can tell the vacume boster for the break master cylender hose? do these lines have to be bleed or other situtions when putting them backe together. Thanks so guys (and girls)
Rick

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

A bit of spillage from the fuel lines, have a rag ready. With the booster line be very careful of the inline check valve. It is plastic and unless fairly new it will be brittle.

Click here when the check valve breaks.

As to reassembly, just check for leaks after you start it up.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,523 Posts
I needed two 17mm open spanners to undo the nuts- one to hold it and one to undo. Not much gas overflow but make sure the engine is COLD.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, one mor question. TDC on overhead cam

Im trying to find tdc on the overhead cams, I see numbers (i think) 116 and so on. Is there a 0 that means top dead center? Also, should i remove all sparkplugs to turn cam or just one to releve pressure?

Thanks again. Rick

Checking on replacing timing system (chain, tensioner, upper lower guides, pins) and so on, was quatoed a price of $1800.00. (Tucson,AZ) Is this in the ballpark?
Rick

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

When the cams are on their marks and the crank mark is at zero you've found TDC

1800 seems a bit high. 1200 is what many have discussed, but prices are on the rise.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,523 Posts
TDC

Im trying to find tdc on the overhead cams, I see numbers (i think) 116 and so on. Is there a 0 that means top dead center? Also, should i remove all sparkplugs to turn cam or just one to releve pressure?

Thanks again. Rick

Checking on replacing timing system (chain, tensioner, upper lower guides, pins) and so on, was quatoed a price of $1800.00. (Tucson,AZ) Is this in the ballpark?
Rick
You should remove the plugs and disconnect the battery.

When the mark on the crank points to "O" The marks on both cams should line up. Note that the left cam on mine has a slightly differnt mark vs the right one.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts