Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 380sl cooling issue,when I start temp goes very high then drops to 80 almost instancly,scares me every time this happens! I read on a post about this problem with the thermo. your to drill holes in it and break off the tip or somthing? I just bought this car and the motor runs runs realy good and I dont want to damage It. Does anyone have a pic of the thermo that has ben modifed and what thiggy iam to break off the thermo? what size holes and where? Thanks for any help guys......Scott

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
...I read on a post about this problem with the thermo. your to drill holes in it and break off the tip or somthing?
I recommend you re-read the thread, and search for similar on this board. The drilling idea is a temporary measure, and should not be relied on to "fix" the problem. I don't recall what the issue was, but others may have more presence of mind and chime in.

Incidentally, the original thread as I read it, was posted on Northern resources... In that thread, the writer did mention it was only a temporary measure to use...

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
You would have to remove the thermostat to modify it, just replace it. If you were in the middle of no-where, and it was a cold stormy night, your wife is pregnant and about to deliver, then modifying it would be a consideration... but then, who would care about a thermostat...:)

·
Registered
1985 380sl 1973mgmidget
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for guick replys guys ,time to buy a new thermo. Cheers,Scott

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
hello rwa73, when you change the thermostat, also order a new housing gasket, and there is a coolant tube between the housing and the intake manifold, I suggest replacing it also while your in there... If it ever leeks in the future, the housing has to come back out. All the other coolant hoses can be replaced without too much trouble if they decide to leak... Tom

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,103 Posts
Don't know about the 380sl's but don't make a "Chevy" mistake. On mine the thermostat is on the passenger side of the housing...not the top.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
My 380SL does this, and has done so for four years on a what was a new thermostat. It may take a bit of a "push" of heat to open it the first time. So far, no probs.

It is unnerving, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts