Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380 SL
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Im overdue to replace the donut exhaust hangers on my 85 380sl. Im finding conflicting info about exactly which donuts I need.

How many hangers do I need? Is it acceptable to use all the same size?

When I look under my car I see 5 hangers. 2 at the rear muffler, and 3 towards the center of the car.

Autohausaz has 3 hangers available.

1074920044 - chain reinforced
1124920282 - hard rubber
1074920082 - soft

I was leaning towards getting 5 of the hard rubber. Would that work?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
Soft and go to the dealer unless you have other parts you need to get to $50.

·
Registered
1985 380 SL
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Can anyone confirm that 5 is the right number? Ive seen multiple references to there being 4 but I see 5 of them on mine.

Just curious, I was under the impression that the harder rubber and the chain ones were meant as improvements over the soft. Are the soft ones the way to go because they are easier to put on?

Really appreciate the advice!

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,357 Posts
The soft are hard enough to put on and they will last a long time. I have never tried the harder rubber.
I don't know about the number. I think it depends upon the model.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Thanks. Can anyone confirm that 5 is the right number? Ive seen multiple references to there being 4 but I see 5 of them on mine.

Just curious, I was under the impression that the harder rubber and the chain ones were meant as improvements over the soft. Are the soft ones the way to go because they are easier to put on?

Really appreciate the advice!
Go to the dealer and buy 6....probably cost you $10.

I lost 2 on my last BenzyPalooza but thankfully, I had spares because I bought more than I needed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i bought the soft ones and they work fine. I bought 3, and then the middle muffler is held on my one large donut instead of 2 smaller ones. everything was through AutohausAZ. why pay $5 for a donut, when AHAZ has them for 87 cents?

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
I used the reinforced ones on mine. It was a job to put them on, but I was under there anyway. Besides, my son's friend had used a coat hangar to "repair" things when the exhaust system fell off while they were out with the car. I didn't want a repeat.:eek:

But my car isn't in what you would call good shape.

Scott

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,357 Posts
i bought the soft ones and they work fine. I bought 3, and then the middle muffler is held on my one large donut instead of 2 smaller ones. everything was through AutohausAZ. why pay $5 for a donut, when AHAZ has them for 87 cents?
Because if you don't buy more than $50 the shipping will cost more than the donuts at AH. Like 10.95 for shipping 5.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
Because if you don't buy more than $50 the shipping will cost more than the donuts at AH. Like 10.95 for shipping 5.
You can always find more crap to buy to get to $50 and if you can't FCP Euro has $25 free shipping.

·
29,512 Posts

·
29,512 Posts

·
Registered
1965 230SL
5 Posts
On line Merc. dealers

Well....there are lots of places to get parts. The Barrie dealer has been great with me over the past 10 years. There is also Exoparts.com that are in Mississauga.

I'm trying to get some SL owners together. Join us!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/2439713-timmies-run-gtg-oct-3-4-a.html
Thanks I'll try Mississauga.
I would like to show for your GTG, any chance of making it the east end of TO.?
Re Mercedes dealers, I generally stay away from them because of price, I was quoted $15 each by my local dealer, I
I'm not paying $60 plus taxes for four rubber rings, on line reinforced ones are about $2 each, when I find a supply that deliver to Ontario reasonably.
Just to contradict that statement, I needed a wheel alignment, having just replaced the upper and lower control arm outer bearing assemblies and service my calipers.
Mercedes quoted $135 against my local shop of $100.
I thought what the hell, I'll bite the bullet, they know Mercedes, right?
WRONG, I spent 3 hours waiting between the showroom and the shop showing the mechanic how to adjust the rake and camber??
Not only did he not know how, he didn't appear to have the initiative to pull a manual.
I finally had to negotiate with the service manager who wanted to charge me extra labour "to align my wheels"??

·
29,512 Posts
Thanks I'll try Mississauga.
I would like to show for your GTG, any chance of making it the east end of TO.?
Re Mercedes dealers, I generally stay away from them because of price, I was quoted $15 each by my local dealer, I
I'm not paying $60 plus taxes for four rubber rings, on line reinforced ones are about $2 each, when I find a supply that deliver to Ontario reasonably.
Just to contradict that statement, I needed a wheel alignment, having just replaced the upper and lower control arm outer bearing assemblies and service my calipers.
Mercedes quoted $135 against my local shop of $100.
I thought what the hell, I'll bite the bullet, they know Mercedes, right?
WRONG, I spent 3 hours waiting between the showroom and the shop showing the mechanic how to adjust the rake and camber??
Not only did he not know how, he didn't appear to have the initiative to pull a manual.
I finally had to negotiate with the service manager who wanted to charge me extra labour "to align my wheels"??
Wrong dealer, I'm afraid.

Get your name into the GTG thread and when we get closer we'll decide on the most central location for everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts