Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SE, 1971 Lincoln Mark III
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! As much as I'd like to rant about a horrible car selling experience I had a few days ago, I'll only say that I need help with a stalling problem. It's been ongoing -- really only stalling at cold startup, during idle. The problem took a severe upswing recently and it's stalling at all speeds and won't let me go more than a couple of miles before it stalls again and won't start up right away (hard starts). I'm suspecting a fuel pump/pressure situation but I haven't checked it out yet.
Background info on the car: Mileage unknown, basic maintenance recently done (fluids, O2 sensor, fuel filter, spark plugs). Any body have any ideas or quick and dirty tests before I start digging into my fuel system? Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Why not change the fuel filter to see if it may be stopped up. If you have no history on the car, then it's time to do a full service on the car to ensure everything is ok.

Regards,

·
Registered
1985 380SE, 1971 Lincoln Mark III
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel filter is new and the idle valve is functional (it's got good voltage to it and it buzzes for a short time when you start the car)

At this point the car isn't really driveable as it stalls at random intervals at any speed (not just idle).

Is there any history of vapor lock on these cars? Or how about any chance of debris accumulation in the fuel pump due to fuel tank corrosion? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but I'ver read about a flow rate test. I think I may just pull the pump and check it out....

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
DarkCyde said:
I think I may just pull the pump and check it out....
I think you’re on the right track.

The pump’s not clogged it’s just old and failing. Is it making a humming noise? It should make no noise.*

My 300 SE was doing the exact same thing and a new pump and filter fixed it right up. Remember to always replace a new pump with a new filter, presoak the filter, and disconnect the battery before starting work.

*Yes, I know: many of you have perfectly good pumps that make noise. All I can say is my new pump is dead quiet as was the pump on the 500 SEL; the old pump that caused the stalling on the 300 SE was making noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts