Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
00 W202, 04 955 S, 08 e90
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me a little about the car, what's a good market price? 118K miles.

WDBBA45C4FA029115

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
They are going from 6 to 8k here in Houston.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would assume 6 being low end fair condition.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Repairs on these cars are expensive, so the value is driven more by the mechanical condition of the car than anything else. If the care and maintenance of the car is well documented, the car is worth more. Don't go by looks alone, all these cars look great. But a worn-out front end can cost you $5,000 to fix. The secret ingredients to a nice car is low mileage, a clean car fax and good service records, and a good mechanical check. Higher mileage cars are ok too, if the right things have been serviced and replaced at the right time, something a good MB mechanic can tell you. Personally, I have found the cosmetic and interior fix-up work to be the cheap part of owning these cars - its the mechanical work that will kill you. I'd rather have an SL with torn seat covers and a stack of maintenance receipts for oil changes, etc than some worn-out car that some nice lady has keep pristine.

So, a 6k 380 would be one with few maintenance records and high miles, while a high priced one would have good records and low miles or high miles and a stack of receipts for the proper mechanical work.

Don't buy these cars like a Chevy - stay away from "gut" feeling and spur of the moment purchase. Do a really good mechanical evaluation of the car or you will get burned. Once you get a good car, become knowledgable in the proper servicing of it.

·
Registered
1984 Euro 500SL
107 Posts
There is a 1985 model with 150k for $7750 advertised in Raleigh, NC. I agree with Kirk. Make sure you have documentation.
Mike

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
It really pays to take your time. I spent a year looking, must have looked at fifty cars. I had a few that looked like creampuffs looked at by mechanics, who would come back and tell me tales of cracked subframes, shot front ends (the control arms really need a good look) and warped cylinder heads. A lot of people who buy these cars let the Mercedes reputation go to their heads, and simply don't maintain the cars.

I wanted a 280SL because I had owned two 280 series sedans and I am just in love with the 2.8 engine, which I still think is the finest engine Mercedes ever made. Great on gas, reliable and fine performance. My 77 280E litterly fell apart around the engine over the course of close to 300,000 miles, and that engine was still running strong when I put the thing in the junk yard. I bet the junkyard owner's daughter drove the car for ten years after that.

After a year of looking, I finally found a 280SL that had been owned by a pilot. Pilots do lots of preventive maintenance by habit - you don't get to fix a bad fuel pump at 30,000 feet, and they keep meticulous logs and records by habit. The car was also a steal price wise. I've had little to no problem with the car over the two years I've owned it. I try to continue with his philosophy -when something gives out, replace all the components in the given system.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kvining! i agree with you 100%. I just don't anything about SL models. I owned other model which I have maintained and documented papers.

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
osdesierto - 3/28/2005 8:05 AM

Can someone tell me a little about the car, what's a good market price? 118K miles.

WDBBA45C4FA029115

Thanks!
Hey Oscar!

Would I be wrong and unreasonable to assume that you need a Carfax for that vehicle? If so, PM me your email again and I'll get it to you. Also, I have owned a 560SL for over 5 years now so ask any question you like.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts