1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, thinking of joining your club.

Looking at a 85 300SD Turbo Diesel

230k Miles
Body looks to be in excellent shape, a small dent on driver side door.
Interior is good, few cracks around speakers and a seam busted on back seat.

Asking price is $3900 USD.

Now I'm new at this so looking for all kinds of advice on what to look for in this model. It is said to be the 'california edition' but has a block heater recently installed, I am in Colorado, so while it can get very cold in the mountains, it isn't so bad in the plains.

Owner claims it has been well maintained, but of course I shall get more information, but advice as to what to ask would be appreciated.

I also posted this in the sales section, but I think this might be a better place.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Make sure you know what, if anything doesn't work. Check for rust, of course.

How does it shift? Does the ACC unit operate properly? Sounds a bit high priced to me, but location trumps that.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
45 Posts
i just bought a 85' sd 229,000, very good cond. in N.C. paid 4,250. i checked around and it seems thats really not to high for a good car.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Looks good from here....a service history, lack of rust would close the deal for me.

Still by far my favourite 126. Nice colour combo too...

·
Registered
1985 300SD
51 Posts
Get a Pre-Purchase Inspection done (PPI) at a good indy mechanic who knows these cars. If maintenance has been deferred, repairs can get expensive (A/C, suspension issues...) The power train is pretty well bulletproof (if scheduled maintenance has been performed), but there are a lot of other systems which may need attention at over 200,000

If the weather is cold, go over and perform a cold start, that can give you an idea of glow plug, battery condition and compression possibly...

85's often have more goodies as it was the last year for the OM617 300SD. All have the differential found in the 300SDL with lower revs on the highway. Many have headrests in the back, and some such as mine have orthopedic seat adjustment for the driver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts