Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '85 MB 300D is a great vehicle, but it has recently developed a water leak from the windshield or aft hood area into the right forward passenger floor area. I've chatted with other 300D owners in this area who complain of similar problems. Anyone have any ideas about how to stop this leak?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First place I'd recommend checking is below each hood hinge inside the engine compartment. There is a drain hole there, on each side, and if it is clogged, you will likely get leaks inside the front of the car. To unclog, try some coathanger wire to gently clear the channel.<p>Good practice: After you wash your car and you've opened the hood to dry the area under there (you do this, right?!), check to make certain that there is no standing water at those drain holes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, Don. I have already checked those drain holes and unclogged them. Have you heard of leaks through the windshield gasketing? Any other ideas?<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have heard people report failures in the gasket around the windshield allowing water in.<p>Have you checked the sunroof (if you have one) drains also?<p>Another thing to consider would be to remove the kickpanel on the right side, lay on your back looking up under the dashboard, and then have someone start dousing the car with water and see if you can find the source.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the drain hoses for the cabin air intake? They are on either side of the engine on the firewall. If they get cloged I could see water getting in through the cabin vent system.<p><br>: Yes, I have heard people report failures in the gasket around the windshield allowing water in.<p>Have you checked the sunroof (if you have one) drains also?<p>Another thing to consider would be to remove the kickpanel on the right side, lay on your back looking up under the dashboard, and then have someone start dousing the car with water and see if you can find the source.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what I think you have - The battery acid has caused corrosion underneath the battery box, which has gone through the metal there. I had the same problem on my car. I suggest you remove the battery, remove the battery box, check for corrosion, and (assuming you find it, treat the metal with a rust inhibitor, then using a butyl roof sealer, reseal the area liberally with sealer. <br>Check the link to see my engine conversion!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.