Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 300D Turbo. I pulled the engine and removed the lower pan off of the whole block. Cylinder 1's oiler was in teh bottom of the pan and a piece of the lower rim on the piston (about big as a nickle) had broken off as well. The connecting rod is visibly closer to the rear of the motor on the wrist pin. the engine had locked up and i'm wondering if it is worth fixing. It may be cheaper to purchase a used engine since rebuild is so expensive.

There were no metal shaving in the pan nor were there any visible scaring. I'm sure the off center force scared teh upper wall the piston was almost TDC.

A piston, rod, and sleeve and the other necessities would probably run too close to the 900 i can pick up a good uesd one for?

All coment and advice welcom!

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,701 Posts
Get a used one and keep the old one and then slowly build up the bad motor as a back up....its the best bet for now unless you have a lot of money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Connecting rod Removal

Okay, bottom end is still off, but i need to remove the connecting rod so i can rotate the crank to get my torque convertor off. I have a set of the female star sockets that goes up to a size 18. IT must be a 19 or 20 because i can't get the 18 on her. Couldn't find a 19 or 20 in town today. I will have to look later. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spare Parts

Get a used one and keep the old one and then slowly build up the bad motor as a back up....its the best bet for now unless you have a lot of money.
Any idea as to where i might get another oiler, piston, and connecting rod. Further, what are the chances that the crank warped with the lock up??? I'm thinking i could just go back with the standard set up on that cylinder and see how she does?:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts