Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 1985 280SL and may start a few threads in order to keep the topics separated. If this is not preferred let me know and I'll try to clean them up.

The AC makes a lot of noise, squealing and what not, when the AC is on. It works and blows pretty cold but the noise is not good. I suppose it could be the compressor and also the clutch - or is there a chance it is a pulley of some sort?

Ultimately if I need to have it replaced, should I consider moving to something other than the York compressor? My mechanic did not think that was doable as the mounts are different but I would think it has to be possible. Any guidance is more than appreciated.

For the York compressor in there now - what is the replacement part number and how about for the clutch? I've struggled to find it.

If there is an alternative option please include those part numbers if you have them.

MANY THANKS

·
Registered
21,746 Posts
Maybe not helpful, but I too thought my 1985 280sl compressor was bad because it heard lots and lots of noise when it was on. Figured I was on borrowed time and enjoying the cold while it lasted.

I was investigating a squealing belt and discovered all the noise was excuse my alternator pivot bolt was falling out! It practically hit the fan. All is good in 280sl land now. Compressor is fine in my car. I guess the added resistance of the AC compressor was causing all the racket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
Check the belt and idler pulley. Stick with York if you have to replace.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I feel like I can actually hear something inside the compressor making noise. Is it possible to add oil to one if it needs more lubrication?

Also - can someone please post the appropriate parts numbers for the compressor and clutch? Hopefully there is a quality aftermarket that is reasonable. thank you!

·
Registered
21,746 Posts
Thanks. I feel like I can actually hear something inside the compressor making noise. Is it possible to add oil to one if it needs more lubrication?
This was EXACTLY my train of thought before I discovered the belt issue due to a loose alternator bolt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[
This was EXACTLY my train of thought before I discovered the belt issue due to a loose alternator bolt.

What belt issue?
This is interesting as I think I may be in the same situation actually. The car is at the mechanic right now and we noticed some wobble in the belt on the lower side under the compressor. It looked tight while running but when looking down through you could see some wobble which indicates some slipping I suppose. I am hopeful they can figure out how to tighten it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
scb71
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing