Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a first time benz owner and don't have tons of experience working on cars. I tried searching this forum and others, but i guess i just need help that's a little more specific, so any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Here it goes,

I picked up this 1985 190E with low miles and a lot of maintenance records. I've been driving it for about a month and now am having some issues. It always starts up fine, and drives fine once i get going down the road. But always when i start it up it will die unless i give it gas. If i have been driving it for a bit, it wont stall, but it really struggles and nearly does.

Some things i have noticed after doing some research are this:

• "eha" valve is leaking a lot of fuel.
  • looks like the PCV valve has been disconnected for a while cause there is oil everywhere around where the breather vent is.
  • little black hose line running from the fuel pressure regulator has been disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator.
  • fuel economy is really bad.
From what i have read it could be a lot of things and i just don't know where to begin! I can't afford to throw parts at this, and i am currently using this as my commuter to work. Limping it down the road.

Thanks again for any suggestions, i am motivated to get this fixed because otherwise it's a pretty clean ride, i'll post some pics of her here just for fun.

Attachments

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,275 Posts
Nice car, welcome to the forum. How many miles on your odometer?

None of the things you listed are remotely related to your minor issue.
Correct me if I'm wrong:

You car will stall after starting immediately when warm. 30 minutes up to 3 yours after it is shut off.
The car will stat right away on the second strike.
The car would start in the first strike if you press the gas pedal some during the first crank starting.
The car will start fine and not stall when cold at the first strike
The car will start fine and not stall when warm at the first strike if you have just turned off the engine (or within the first 30 minutes or so.

If these are your symptoms I'll give you some pointers, I do not want to lead you in the wrong direction.

- Cheers!

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,275 Posts
Sorry, but I misunderstood your description in your original post.

You will need to tackle the problems one at a time starting with the most serious one. You should not drive the car unless you fix the leaking EHA valve. Fuel leaking in the engine compartment is a fire hazard.

Unfortunately, they can not be fixed. You will need to purchase a new one for about $200-$250.
Their life is about 100K miles, we do not know the mileage of your car.
Once you replace yours, you should check your mixture ratio (duty cycle) as the new unit would most likely prompt the lambda to be adjusted. I just read in another thread that leaking EHA will cause a rich mixture on top of the leakage so that might contribute to your fuel economy issues.

You should reconnect the PCV hose and the fuel pressure regulator leak hose as well but ask yourself the question why these were disconnected in the first place.

Is there a lot of airflow/pressure coming from the PCV hose? Maybe that is why it was disconnected to avoid pressure buildup under the timing cover.

·
Premium Member
93 190e 2.6
379 Posts
I have a spare working EHA valve I can sell you if you need one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, but I misunderstood your description in your original post.

You will need to tackle the problems one at a time starting with the most serious one. You should not drive the car unless you fix the leaking EHA valve. Fuel leaking in the engine compartment is a fire hazard.

Unfortunately, they can not be fixed. You will need to purchase a new one for about $200-$250.
Their life is about 100K miles, we do not know the mileage of your car.
Once you replace yours, you should check your mixture ratio (duty cycle) as the new unit would most likely prompt the lambda to be adjusted. I just read in another thread that leaking EHA will cause a rich mixture on top of the leakage so that might contribute to your fuel economy issues.

You should reconnect the PCV hose and the fuel pressure regulator leak hose as well but ask yourself the question why these were disconnected in the first place.

Is there a lot of airflow/pressure coming from the PCV hose? Maybe that is why it was disconnected to avoid pressure buildup under the timing cover.
Thanks! i am looking for a new EHA valve at the moment and will post my adventures on adjusting duty cycle or wherever else the fix takes me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts