Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D W123
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members,

Other than congratulating Tony in Melbourne on his "New W123", this is my first post to the forum. I have a W123 1984 TD300 that I bought back in 1998. It's been in the garage for most of the past 20 years here in Sacramento, CA. It's a very clean car; original floor mats, original spare tire. Not a spot of rust, hardly a ding whatsoever.

I've wanted to give her the love and and attention she needs. I am extremely busy and have decided to free up the space in the garage. I have no idea what she's worth. I was wondering if a member here on the site could refer me to a website where I might find out what she is worth? I think it would definitely be great vehicle for the right person. It's got just over 200K miles. I wouldn't hesitate to take off to Newfoundland in it tomorrow. Will up load a few pics. Would appreciate any thoughts from any of you fellows in the forum with a better understanding of what would be a fair asking price.

Regards,
Christopher
View attachment 2611568 View attachment 2611571 View attachment 2611572 View attachment 2611574 View attachment 2611575 View attachment 2611576 View attachment 2611578 View attachment 2611579 View attachment 2611580

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 85 on a barn fine about 5 years ago with 180k. Needs paint, dash, vacuum lines, and some other interior work. Spent 2k, less a battery.

·
Registered
1984 300D W123
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Christopher, bit of a problem opening your pics which haven't uploaded correctly? Looking forward to seeing this beauty!
Thanks for letting me know. I will try to upload them again. I'll check to see if there is some kind of resolution specs or something.

·
Registered
1984 300D W123
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

This is a re-post for the photos of my '84 300TD, here we go, will see if this works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
10 images came up. Yours is definitely much cleaner than mine. Like I said I spent 2k less a battery for an 85 with about 180k. So that may be roughly your base point to start with.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC 1985 300CD
1,408 Posts
In order to receive TOP dollar on these cars, everything, and I mean everything has to be darn near perfect. Without knowing the condition of the HVAC system (it gets complicated), the compression of the engine, all the electricals (windows, blowers, cruise control, etc) the interior bits, (the wood and the dash especially) it's simply impossible to guess. Looks like it could be 6000 dollar car from the pics. But it could easily be a 2000 car. Especially with 200K on it.

·
Premium Member
1977 6.9, 1976 W115 240D, w123 300D turbo
39 Posts
I've been tracking w123 prices for a few months now separating for a number of variables, apparent condition, body type, engine type, transmission type, euro or US spec, mileage, etc. Frankly, mileage on the car is a bigger factor than I anticipated.

There are always unknowns, but the cars that sold on BaT had unknowns as well and earned a price. Your car has a dash cover and seat covers. Cracked dashes and tired seats will drive the value down of course.

At any rate, 300D turbos, rust-free, good body, US-spec with about 200K miles sell for between 8 and 10K on BaT. Admittedly my sample size is somewhat small.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
338 Posts
I've been tracking w123 prices for a few months now separating for a number of variables, apparent condition, body type, engine type, transmission type, euro or US spec, mileage, etc. Frankly, mileage on the car is a bigger factor than I anticipated.

There are always unknowns, but the cars that sold on BaT had unknowns as well and earned a price. Your car has a dash cover and seat covers. Cracked dashes and tired seats will drive the value down of course.

At any rate, 300D turbos, rust-free, good body, US-spec with about 200K miles sell for between 8 and 10K on BaT. Admittedly my sample size is somewhat small.

Good luck.
I'll agree with you that W123s go for far more if they are low mileage than if they are well maintained but high mileage. However, price-wise, 8-10k for a US spec with 200k miles isn't accurate at all. You'd be lucky to get 8-10k for a well-kept W123 with 120k miles on it according to BaT history let alone your most common platformed W123 with 200k. Realistically you're probably looking closer to 3-5k. As we all know, ironically, mileage doesn't really matter with these cars. But the market hands down favors the low mileage examples.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1995 E320
1,084 Posts
To get top dollar on a place like Bring a Trailer the small things tend to matter, like removing the seats and giving the carpets a good cleaning, regluing the wood trim that is pulling away from the glove box. If not working sort out the climate controls. Programa in Florida offers rebuilt units or can rebuild your climate control unit. If the issues don't come back to leaking vacuum bellows. I always add value if it has the original radio and it and the automatic antenna are working. A/C needs to be working. Front seats need to be in top condition. If not the leather option they can be recovered with vinyl relatively inexpensively if you can do the work yourself, leather tends to be a bigger investment. The tires not only need to have good tread, but be of a current date code and a decent brand, like Pirelli's that are on it, but not the ones that were on the car when it was stored 20 years ago. Give it all new fluids and filters, do a diesel purge, make sure there are no issues with rubber brake lines, fuels lines, etc... I like the color and if I were in the market I don't think I would be put off by 200,000 miles if the rest of the car presented as being well taken car of.

Best of luck with passing it along.

·
Registered
1980 280E Sedan
25 Posts
Pics came out well Christopher. Nice looking car!
Can't comment on its possible value in the U.S., but if in our market (and therefore in Euro spec rather than U.S. spec) it would pull at least 5-6k, mainly because W123's are becoming pretty scarce. In my experience a well maintained higher mileage classic is sometimes a better proposition than a super-low miler that's lain dormant for decades and in need of complete overhaul. Easy to become too obsessed by low mileage.

·
Registered
1982 300d four speed turbo & 1984 300d four speed N/A euro
338 Posts
Pics came out well Christopher. Nice looking car!
Can't comment on its possible value in the U.S., but if in our market (and therefore in Euro spec rather than U.S. spec) it would pull at least 5-6k, mainly because W123's are becoming pretty scarce. In my experience a well maintained higher mileage classic is sometimes a better proposition than a super-low miler that's lain dormant for decades and in need of complete overhaul. Easy to become too obsessed by low mileage.
Yeah, I agree! Dormant W123s, or any vehicle for that matter, are typically no good unless rejuvenated all around the board gaskets, etc. However, the market simply prefers low milage examples despite this. I guess its more of an ignorant stance rather than a logical one but that is what the market reflects at the moment. Although I might, personally, prefer a low mileage example that was maintained yet left unattended for a few decades needing a full rework - I'd be willing to put that kind of work in. In the end, you'd be left with something far superior to a high mileage example. I think that might be the motive behind a lot of the recent prices. But of course, stay away from non-maintained cars.

·
Registered
1980 280E Sedan
25 Posts
Yeah, I agree! Dormant W123s, or any vehicle for that matter, are typically no good unless rejuvenated all around the board gaskets, etc. However, the market simply prefers low milage examples despite this. I guess its more of an ignorant stance rather than a logical one but that is what the market reflects at the moment. Although I might, personally, prefer a low mileage example that was maintained yet left unattended for a few decades needing a full rework - I'd be willing to put that kind of work in. In the end, you'd be left with something far superior to a high mileage example. I think that might be the motive behind a lot of the recent prices. But of course, stay away from non-maintained cars.
Sure. I was speaking personally rather than for the market, although here in AU there are so few W123's left to choose from that if you really want one then high mileage is of little consequence. The upside is that few vehicles here ever suffer from tin worm, more important is completeness (trim etc. which can be hard to find) and mechanical integrity.

·
Registered
1984 300D W123
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Everyone, Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I am going to list it on the classified forum today and am going to ask $3500 for it. If you happen to know anybody that would be interested in it, please pass it along. Thanks! Happy Holidays and all the best to you in the New Year!

·
Registered
1983 240d
48 Posts
Your price point is somewhat consistent with what I've seen. I bought my 240d in excellent condition for $3000 in 2004 (in CA). It had 160k on the odometer, and was a single owner car. It looked brand new. Only thing it needed was a charge for the AC.

I moved to VA a few years ago, and see w123s regularly for $800 - $3000 depending on condition and mileage. A few are listed for considerably more ($7-10k), but appear to be in showroom condition. I am seeing Craigslist listings for what that's worth. $3500 might be a little high, but does allow room for negotiation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts