Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the '84 380 SL came with the double timing chain? My memory (what's left)<br> is that they fixed the single timing chain problem after 1983. Hope I'm right. THANKS_____HARRY______ email [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Harry:<br> <br> Memory wise, we are in the same boat. All 380's from 81-83 had the single chain. For 84, the double was installed; to the best of my memory.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI (Mercedes Benz information MBNA/MBC S 2467 000 03/'91) <br> <br> 'The V8s 380SL/SLC from 81 to 83 with engine numbers 116.96.. up to model year 1983 were fitted with simplex chain (186 links) and it must be replaced with the duplex chain together with all the sprokets in case of repair. The left-hand cylinder head must be removed for this purpose' <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fyi the model I'm looking at is an 84. I also happened to be in the local Merz shop today and 'Randy' said the same as you two. '83 down single chain,84 up double chain'__HARRY_____.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the double timing chain was put into the mid year between 83 and84 so some 83s have a single and some have double the euro ones all have double i think ;my 82 euro had the double chain

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the double timing chain was put into the mid year between 83 and84 so some 83s have a single and some have double the euro ones all have double i think ;my 82 euro had the double chain

1 - 6 of 6 Posts