Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I posted this on the "Found on" thread and 3 weeks after I sent a email asking to see the car, the owner replied and said it's still available.

Ok it's not an SLC which I'd prefer for the rear seats, but can you help me with some items to look for?

I have no clue (about most things) and have never actually seen a 107 in good running condition. Hence I would not know what to look for.

Talking briefly with the owner, he said there was minimal rust (around the filler, on a fender) and has verified it has a double row timing chain. It's his daily driver, he said about 6 miles a day and it has a misfire. He's owned it about a year.

The owner seems like nice enough guy, German Expat working for the US Guv.

Some things off hand I can think to check for-
Rust-where are the hidden places to look?
Spring perches?
Mtc records.
What else?

I'm going to take a look next week and will post photos.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
6 miles a day is not good, barely time to warm up, check oil for sludge bits of metal, follow it and and look for white smoke. Rust is the nasty problem, wheres it kept, look around the headlights for bubbles, the bottom of the front fenders, the base of the rear wheel arches, look under the spare wheel, if you can get it up and have a look underneath, check the front and rear ends of the sills - all those places are painful cost wise, mine had nasty rust due to blocked drainage from the front vents. Make sure it drives straight, take your hands off and see if it veers, also try braking hard and see if it pulls - (gasp!) - look at the interior - its really difficult to get parts here!. Having said that they are great cars, mines the same age, just take it slow - best m

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Same as MatCook2011 above, really check the rust. It just might need a good tune-up and some injector cleaner. Not a bad price depending on condition. Has the euro bumpers and lights which would make up about 1/2 the asking price if they are in good shape. Of course the rubber on it might need replacing at some point, etc... Good Luck when you go to look at it.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've found a few other items from a few more searches.

From what I've found the (not spring perches) but the sub frame recall was an earlier model (?).

Hopefully rockcrusher will add some tips.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,615 Posts
The sub frame issue is only covered by MB on the US model 450SL and 450SLC.
The failure issue applies to all 107s through the 1985 model year. MB just won't pay in most instances.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,615 Posts
More places to check for rust. Rear valance where it attaches to the bumper. All floor pans. Pull out rear seat bottom. Since it is a Euro model the battery is still under the hood so check the battery tray and if you can, check under.

BTW. All Euro 380s had the dual timing chain and the '84, '85 US models also came stock with them

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
It being a Euro model, it should start out in first gear instead of second, the battery should be under the hood, no frequency valve/ air pump/ and possibly no cats either.
It should have the ACC II auto heat controls. It may have the limited slip differential and the anti sqat rear suspention, not the little sway bar links like the US model.

The timing chain was double row for all sl's in 84 so that's not an issue, but if the guides and timing chain are original, they're probobly due for replacement. I'm not sure, but it might even be the higher horsepower version offerd in Europe, but I'm not certain how to tell that, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Other than that, check and see how much rust there actually is, around the headlights, tail lights, trunk seal area, if possible the storage compartment for the soft top, under the spare tire, the jack points. But for that price, I don't think you can go wrong. When the car is at idle, check the economy gage, (vacume gage), it should be pegged to the left, if not, there is a vacume leak somewhere. If possible, take it for an inspection at a reputable indipendant mechanic in the area.

I think the euro models are easier to tune, and perform better, ..... :)

You may even have the rear seats, that's always a pluss........

hope this helps...

RC

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,615 Posts
That's the ACC III same as the 560SL. Actually '82 and newer SLs. At least on U.S. models.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I also remember something about the title on cars brought into the states by servicemen that never had then federalized, causing problems getting them registered, this may be an issue with this one, seems to be selling it rather cheap. Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, thank you for the inputs. I talked to the seller on Sunday and where I said I would call him Monday to confirm an evening this week to look at the car. Since than I only get voice jail and no call back. The car is only about 6 miles from my place so it would have been really easy to look it over.

Oh well. Thanks again for the inputs, the search continues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts