Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking of buying an '84 500SL with 60k miles for $5k and was wondering if that was a good price and also what should I look out for? The ad says "faded paint, clean interior, and one broken headlight, and a couple small dings." It has both hard and soft tops and a cd player. I'll check it out tomorrow and see if the paint just needs a wax job or if it's really bad. I'm told it was just handed down to the new owner (a teenager?) who doesn't use it and so who wants to sell it to get something more sportier.

I've been reading that the 500SLs may be grey market, imported from Germany. KBB and Edmunds only show 380s, so I assume all the 500s are the euro versions. I should be able to check by the bumper and headlights. Does anyone have a pick of a euro and a non euro, so i can compare?

Also, '84 should have the updated double row timing chain. What can I do to check that once I see the car tomorrow? Maybe I can only see that by removing valve covers, so I don't know.

For smog check and DMV registration, there may be issues w/ Euro's or so I've read. The seller says it's smogged, but is there anything I can check ahead of time?

Here's what the road and track article has to say:

"Any SL shopper is likely to come across gray-market cars as well, cars originally sold in Europe but supposedly brought into compliance with U.S. safety and emissions regulations. In Europe these SLs came with a bewildering array of engines and transmissions. Some, like the powerful 500SL, were very desirable indeed. Olson estimated that during 1985 alone, the peak year for gray-market imports, some 5000 SLs entered the U.S. If you should seriously consider purchasing a gray-market car, check especially carefully for rust, and make certain the proper EPA and DOT releases come with the title. "

Anything else?

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
Running out of time?

Try this link to a red 500sl. Definately euro. http://sl107.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=4936035941&f=3816042651&m=5836002652

There is NO issue on timing chain being single row, but there are, of course, many others. While $5k could be a steal, it could also be the opposite. Spend some time on sl107.com, and some of your questions will be answered.

If this works out, you could be the big winner. Good freakin' luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not as clean as I hoped

Hi. The car seemed to be in decent shape. However, a lot of the pain was peeling from oxidation or something. I'd have to get a new paint job. I'm just not too excited about that nor do I know if it's worth it.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1985 500 SL, 2001 E430, 1998 SL500
10 Posts
Enjoy it

I have an 85 500 SL Grey market and it's been a good deal. No problems with parts or service. Now has 120K miles and still looks and runs great.

If you can do the paint job, the 5K seems like a good price as it's well below valuation.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts