Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SL AMG. 1994 220TE.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share a few photographs of my recently (2 months ago) acquired 500SL. It has 72000 miles on the clock, and in fantastic overall condition. BBS RS wheels (my favorite), AMG badged, AMG wheel, burl walnut trim, unknown engine mods at this stage.
I bought it from a dealer following a six hour drive north to look at it. The dealer purchased the car from the original owner who I was lucky enough to track down and talk to about the car.
The car is originally from Miami Beach and was purchased by a German couple. A few years later she relocated to Germany and took the car with her. Not using the car a great deal but obviously with some attachment to it she decided to bring it to New Zealand with her when she relocated again to be with her now grown up children. She also brought with her a 380SE which they still use. It was the daughter I spoke with, the original owner is approaching her 82 birthday!
Again the car didn’t get much use and sat in a garage/barn until the time came to sell. At 82 years young she realised she really wasn’t going to be climbing in and out of the car again. Apart from the odd bits of gnawed plastic from the resident rat it came out of storage in pretty good shape (the car, not the original owner)
I’m just hoping that someday soon she will find all the paperwork and documentation. She tells me it’s in the house somewhere….
Anyway, I love driving it. I’ve owned a succession of older cars and used them regularly but never have I driven such a ‘civilised’ classic as this one. I’ve been used to VW beetles, VW splits, Karmann Ghia before trying out a modern Audi TT. This 500SL is the perfect combination of class, age, style, comfort and POWER in my eyes. It also complements my other daily driver, a 1994 220TE in amazing condition with 2 previous owners.

Thanks for reading, now enjoy the pics-

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,318 Posts
Beautiful. my 2nd favorite color combo and model. #1 is triple back amg 500 sl 5 speed.

amg engine mods make it a higher value but it is still the fastest sl produced and fun to drive. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ps. done typing tonight. just took 5 min to post and proof read this:D

·
Registered
Black on Black 1980 450slc Icon Gold 1978 450 5.0 , Black 2013 550 CLS
267 Posts
Fantastic find and amazing natural pix. thanks for sharing and enjoy th ethrill of the engine.I love the seats and those rims

·
Registered
1985 500sel konig special widebody, 1979 slc, 1992 300sl
232 Posts
nice! love those wheels, i'm also a bbs fanatic! all my old mercedes have them do you know what model bbs those are? if you take off center nut it should say somthing like rs008

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,540 Posts
nice! love those wheels, i'm also a bbs fanatic! all my old mercedes have them do you know what model bbs those are? if you take off center nut it should say somthing like rs008
My guess is rs023. :)

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Very nice looking - I'm like the color correct AMG steering wheel and Recaro's - share more pics when you get the chance:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad others like it as much as me.
The pictures were taken on my daily commute. It's Winter here at the moment, so I can't wait for Summer to arrive and the hardtop to come off (when I've built a hoist to remove it).

I'll take some more pictures later, particularly of the interior. I'm also unsure of the exhaust make so perhaps a few images will help you guys identify it.

Question to Romea8426 and Fonzi- what's the difference between the RS023 and RS008 ? I'll remove the caps later today and post my findings.

I have a list of jobs to do on the car, but I'm busy renovating at the moment so just enjoying driving it. I need to recondition the leather recaros. The leather is dry and the 'power' doesn't work. I'm going to use the restoration kit from the furniture clinic in the UK, to re-dye and condition them. I also need a couple of the adjustment knobs from somewhere. We have a 3D printer at work so I could make some, but I'd prefer originals.
The dash light potentiometer doesn't work so a rebuild is on the cards. At the same time I'll put new gears on the odometer as its just stopped working.
Final job (other than maintenance) is the sound system. It has a silver colored Alpine cd player that is just plain wrong for the age of the car. I've managed to pick up a boxed Blaupunkt cd player (NZ radio frequencies) that is closer to the vintage and will look the part, and a set of Rainbow Dream component speakers for which I'll need to make an enclosure in place of the map pockets. I just have to finish the house first.
More photos to come.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,318 Posts
Don't know your personal status but as they say "happy wife = happy life".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know your personal status but as they say "happy wife = happy life".
Your not wrong there! Although it was my wife who convinced me to buy this car. I actually thought it was a bit expensive, but who am I to argue. We justify it by calling it my 40th birthday gift (2 days away from now).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice looking - I'm like the color correct AMG steering wheel and Recaro's - share more pics when you get the chance:thumbsup:
I'm partial to tan interiors and as you say, the color matched goodies look great. Here's some pics I've just taken.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,540 Posts
:) I think that is my favorite Amg steering wheel. I am pretty sure I have the same model recaro seats in my slc convertible. Apparently the blue buttons are supposed to release air from air bladders. I don't think my seats have a way to fill up the air bladders though. I just have those three buttons on mine and the one rocker switch which tilts the upper/back part of the seat. You appear to have one more rocker switch than me. Please let me know what your switches and buttons do!

I guessed that the wheels were rs023 because I think they are the only wheel with a 1.5" lip that fit the 107. I think they are 8x16 et23-24. They have the same offset as rs008 7x16 et23-24 (can't remember if they are et23 or et24), but the rs023 have an extra 1/2" on but the front and back. I think they have 6" barrels and 1.5" lips. I don't have any rs023 but roncor bought a set trying to fit them to his 560sl, and I believe he now has them for sale in Florida. I have lots of rs008 and rs009.

Edit: oops. Sorry, but my seats are different, having the controls on a side panel not integrated into the bottom bolster like yours. I like yours more than mine: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1599591-slc-convertible-20.html#post5400189

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
RS 023

My 560SL has 8x16 BBS RS023 wheels on rear axle, the outer lip is 1,5". Outer lip shape and bendings makes it look deeper than it is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BatfinkinNZ,

Congratulations on your purchase. Beautiful Recaros and steering wheel. Hope you stay a long time with your UNIQUE SL.

Regards,
slfan1

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
Happy Birthday. Beautiful car. I hope you get a chance to drive it daily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:) You appear to have one more rocker switch than me. Please let me know what your switches and buttons do!
All my buttons do the same thing.........nothing! (at the moment). You're right, there are two rockers. One is for adjusting the backrest angle and the other is to inflate the airbags in the seat back. There are three blue buttons to release air from each bag to suit your comfort levels. when I remove the seats to recondition and redye the seats I'll investigate the electricals and get them working once more. I believe there can also be a third rocker to operate the seat heaters, but my seat heaters are operated by the centre console buttons next to the power windows.

I guessed that the wheels were rs023 because I think they are the only wheel with a 1.5" lip that fit the 107. I think they are 8x16 et23-24.
Spot on, there are 8J x 16 ET24 fronts and backs.
I've checked out your SLC convertible thread, interesting vehicle. I need to spend the time reading all of it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BatfinkinNZ,

Congratulations on your purchase. Beautiful Recaros and steering wheel. Hope you stay a long time with your UNIQUE SL.

Regards,
slfan1
Thanks slfan1, I also hope this to be a long and happy time with my SL. I've a history of changing my car too often, and I finally think I've settled on a keeper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Happy Birthday. Beautiful car. I hope you get a chance to drive it daily.
Thank you. I try and drive it as often as possible, two or three times a week. We're just into Spring now and it rains a bit but once Summer hits I may even drive it most days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 560SL has 8x16 BBS RS023 wheels on rear axle, the outer lip is 1,5". Outer lip shape and bendings makes it look deeper than it is.
They do look nice and deep don't they. What do you have on the front?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts