Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Some nice bits - door wood, steering wheel, body kit. Would be worried about rust in CT, though. Muffler looks very rusted. Wheels are 16" - less desirable Mono's.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As for NY state from my experience it is a huge pain in the a$$, if even possible to register it.

A few years ago I stumbled on a '72 Lincoln that I found rotting in the ground in the back of a seedy gas station/repair shop. Upon closer inspection I realized it was a car I used to see at car shows all the time when I used to bring my '75. They were both jade on jade and pretty cool together. I got to know the owner for a while but then we fell out of touch ... turns out he died, the wife sold the car to some kid who drove it into the ground and ultimately abandoned it.

The guy running the gas station got the call to tow the car out as it was ditched in the backyard of some rental house and left there for about a year. There was no title etc.

I tried REALLY hard to try to save the car as when I used to see it it was flawless and was now just a beat up shell of what it used to be.

Apparently, the ownership history needs to be traced to the most current owner. That owner then needs to be found and made to fill out forms that say they were indeed the owner and relinquish ownership and have it Notarized. The danger here is that owner could be found liable for tons of back fees if they did not turn in plates or have the car insured all this time, towing fees etc.

If that person cannot be found or refuses to fill out the paper work, you are basically stuck with an un-registerable paper weight. If that owner is deceased, it goes to family members or down the line to the previous owner and so on.

In my case, I did find the previous owner and he refused to return my calls or letters even when I offered to pay any and all fees that may exist.

Throw in that that SEC is in another State and you probably have your hands pretty full.

The laws - again from my experience here in NY a few years ago - are pretty strict. Obviously because you can't just go grab a car and walk into the DMV and say "Sorry, it's MINE now!. gimmie a Title!" It could be stolen, wrecked, junked etc. etc. etc. A "Bill of Sale" from someone who doesn't even legally own the car is just a useless piece of paper. The "finders keepers" rule doesn't exactly apply to registering a car as it will result in Auto "Polygamy" with multiple Title holders of the same car.

If in the case of this SEC the guy selling it is actually the OWNER and only lost the title he could get a new one in a couple weeks ... if he just opened up a storage unit and found it, he's not a "legal" owner in terms of "Registration" and you have a serious uphill battle trying to make the car road legal.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Nice find

Don't see any signs of rust in the obvious places, at least from these pics, taken at a location that appears to have lots of covered storage.

No title is no problem here in RI, which is nice. No clue about NY laws, or exemptions given the age of this car. Will be interesting to see what price this ends-up going for. Could turn out to be a sweet deal on an unusual find :D

RE: wheels - imprint looks lengthy. Are these ///AMG ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
2600 bucks. Nice buy for someone assuming they can sort out the title

·
Registered
530 Posts
2600 bucks. Nice buy for someone assuming they can sort out the title
If I knew about it sooner I would have checked up on it a bit more as it was not THAT far away from me. But again, at least here in NY, a Title-less car is usually TROUBLE. If you don't have a Title for the car you are selling, then you aren't the owner and it is not yours to sell.

I just did a gig with a drummer friend of mine who deals in older Motorcycle parts and brought it up with him .... oddly enough a buddy of his just got hit with a lawsuit for buying an old bike without a Title and parting it out (he never bothered trying to register it).Long after all the parts were gone he was forced to pay well more than he paid and made for it when the actual owner/Title holder tracked him down and wanted his property back.

Some other states though seem pretty lenient .... as long as it doesn't come up stolen it's all yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts